Chinese-Forums

Anyone studying at yunnan normal university?

kiksa

Hello,

I'im looking for someone studying at yunnan normal university...

I'm planning studying in china one semester or more..im coming in china in the beginning of february and I still don't know in wich city..i've heard that kunming is a very pleasent city...and nanjing also..And by the way does anyone know if I can apply directly at the university easly? Because, im leaving Belgium in 2 weeks and I don't have the time for a formal appliction and I don't have a touristic visa...do you know if its possible?

I'm waiting for more informations. About yunnan or any other nice city in china.

thks.

kiksa

I'm not studying there at the moment but did for one term in 2006.

Unless visa rules have changed drastically, it should be no problem to show up on a tourist visa and then have the school to change it to a student visa. You can always email them and call them if they don't reply. I'm sure the office is only open a few hours during the break, though. Probably 9am to 11:30 or so. Also Chinese New Year falls at the beginning of February (starts the 6th), so there may not be anyone around for a week or so when you show up.

I really like Kunming but didn't care for Yunnan Normal. I spent 3 terms at Yunnan University and much preferred the class structure, teachers, and administration. If you can handle 8am class every day, you might check it out.

Not sure what your level is like, but for beginners and intermediate YNNU will be ok. There teachers are from all different fields and most of them only work part-time, some lacking in experience. If you are advanced, I wouldn't really recommend it.

I can't speak much about Yunnan Uni, but most people seem to like one or the other. Everyone always complains about the same things, then switch schools, then have no problems. Just get here, see what things are like and go from there.

Tourists visas are welcome, but make sure you got enough time, you may not be able to get your visa changed until the end of february/beginning of march (basically until after you pay tuition/register, etc)

Tourists visas are welcome, but make sure you got enough time, you may not be able to get your visa changed until the end of february/beginning of march (basically until after you pay tuition/register, etc)

How early can one pay and register? I'll be arriving in China near the end of November and my first semester will begin on Feb. 24 (or thereabouts). Can I pay my tuition in December and then switch to a student visa before my tourist visa expires?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

I'd like to study in Kunming, beginning in November 2008.

Does anyone know, if its possible to join classes in mid-term? How about the tuition fee?

What exactly is the difference between Yunnan Normal University, and Yunnan University? (How many students, how many western students?) Is it possible to life of campus??

Thanks a lot for your help!!