Chinese-Forums

Kingsoft Powerword 2008 - Free Beta Version

ABCinChina

I downloaded the free beta version of Powerword 2008 which seems pretty complete at only 25MB to test it out and pleasantly found out that pinyin will be included in the pop-up translator unlike the 2007 version. However, like the 2007 version, Traditional Chinese is not translated in 2008 either. (Though I found out a way to translate Traditional Chinese very effectively in the 2007 version)

Honestly, it is not as complete as ChinesePera-kun which only works within Firefox with pinyin for both Simplified/Traditional, but I need programs like this for MSN, Outlook, QQ, Lotus Notes, etc. because I hate cutting and pasting into Firefox for the translation by ChinesePera-kun. On another note, I tried out Stardict but didn't like the interface and translator pop-up which always closed my Google IME when I try to point out a word to lookup before I type it.

Download Google-Kingsoft Powerword

Edited by ABCinChina
updated link

• 6 months later...

They've decided to scrap Powerword 2008 and instead provide a free version called Google-Kingsoft Powerword (谷歌金山词霸) this year. I don't like this version since the built-in dictionary is too small and Google's online dictionary is needed. Plus, there's no English menus and you can't import your own dictionaries. No word to whether or not they're working on the paid version of 2009 yet.

Edit: I don't think the Google-Kingsoft version mentioned above is any good. The best version is still 2007 and the trial version can be downloaded here. If anyone tries it out and and wants to buy an activation code, just PM me and I'll let you know where to get it practically free.

Edited by ABCinChina
correction

• 1 month later...

I had formatted the CEDICT dictionary to be importable to Powerword's User dictionary. The CEDICT dictionary has pinyin and definitions for both Traditional & Simplified Chinese. Please see this thread for more info.

Edited by ABCinChina
typo

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...