Chinese-Forums

What other language you would like to learn?

floatingmoon

english... still poor :mrgreen: I have problems trying to pronounce: "brokeback mountain" and "desperate housewives"... but it's weird to me... coming to Shanghai has helped me in my not-so-good english... too many foreigners here... but it hits directly my aspirations of learning chinese properly... still a long way to walk :)

I'm also learning a little bit of oral portuguese... since my gf is brazilian, and south american spanish is my native language... it doesn't look so hard :) So, I'm considering seriously to study portuguese... (in an academy)... when I go back to my country.

I'm also atracted by japanese (videogame freak posting) and russian (don't know... there's something...), but are not definitely my priorities right now, not struggling with chinese...

HY GUYS!!!!:):mrgreen:

My name is SERGEY. I am Russian. And i live in Vladivostok. Also i plan visit china in couple of weeks, SO I need any friends in CHINA in ANY CITY OF CHINA.

Actually i speak 2 language so good. I speak Russian and English. And now i am studying SPANISH. Yo ablo Espanol!

SO I WILL BE READY TO GO TO CHINA FROM April of 15 2008.

IS THERE ANYBODY WHO WANTS STUDY RUSSIAN OR ENGLISH OR WHO CAN SPEAK SPANISH JUST MAIL ME SERGEY_1988@yahoo.com

DON" T late!!! JUST DO IT! I am waiting for you, speakers. CAUSE I NEED LANGUAGE PRACTISE!!!!!!:):)

Spanish - I've studied through high school and into university

Cantonese - Just started casually studying

There will probably be another one someday, maybe Japanese? I just have never had any interest in any romance language but Spanish (except maybe French, but not enough to devote time to it). Depends on my situation in five years or so, I guess.

I just started Mandarin about 9 months ago, so I have lots more to do.

If I were to start another language I think it would be Farsi or Turkish. I need to focus on some new Arabic dialects too (Iraqi, Moroccan), but that really requires travel.

I think the interesting question also is what other language do you have NO intention to study? Not out of prejudice, but the difficult ones you don't want to invest the time in.

My list of no-ways are

(1) greek

(2) japanese

(3) finnish

(4) hungarian

I have been learnign and using Han Language almost life time (45 years) and still know there are much more to nearn, but I know I can't make much progress further. I would like to nearn every language I know of, but I know I can't. So I had to say I would like to learn only

1) Latin and

2) Greek

I'd like to learn Scottish Gaelic (There's a new one! :)), Cantonese, Russian, Japanese, or Korean, basically. Gaelic because I'm technically Scottish (I've lived in New Zealand since I was 4 though, so for over 17 years now), and it would be nice to know some the language of my heritage. But for that I would basically have to move to Scotland for a while. I don't think there's really a way around that.

The rest, mostly so I can speak the more common languages in or around China. :).

No interest in Romance/European Languages, or any of the smaller languages. I'd like a good chance of using anything I may one day learn :).

Might also have to get around to learning Australian one day too... :PI'm gonna get a hiding for that

Where in Scotland are your family from, Ipsi? If you are lowlanders you might need to go back quite a way to find a Gaelic speaking ancestor. I'm from the Outer Hebrides, but my parents aren't local and I never learned it beyond the very basics - just tried to count to ten and got lost at six.

Nobody mentioned Hindi.

And then of course for the classicists there is always Sanskrit. :mrgreen:

But if you want to get into the Buddhist scriptures you'll have to learn Pali :(

I was required to learn Japanese for my master's program in Chinese literature ... I was never quite sure why. PhD candidates had to learn 2 years.

I ended up making a 20 year detour into Japanese and I still wouldn't use it to do research! You should see the crazy things the Japanse do to try to read "Kanbun" (汉文)

Cantonese, because I love the sound. :mrgreen:

Portuguese, because I love the sound and after French and Spanish it won´t be really difficult. :) Maybe Italian as well, because it´s a nice language with a nice country and culture- also after other Neolatin languages it would be a piece of cake, I think. Catalan could also come. ;)

Arabic, the script and the sound are really nice, grammar interesting and challenging!

Greek - love the sound. Basque because it´s mysterious. Indonesian or Malay because I´ve heard they are not so hard, they sound interesting and there are many speakers. Korean because it sounds really challenging and the grammar is also interesting. Turkish, because it has many similarities with my native lang, Hungarian. Esperanto just for fun and travel. Lithuanian, I find it a very pretty language and from a linguistical view it is also important. Malayalam, I have a friend who speaks it. Hindi, beucause it may have some importance later.

On the other hand, any language that I begin to like! :lol::roll:

I was born in Glasgow, as was my dad, and I assume most of my dad's family come from that sort of area (My Mum is technically English). I think you're probably right, in that I'd have to go back a long way to find someone who could.

I'm currently studying Japanese and literary Chinese (does that count as a different language?).

Korean will be my fourth language. As a PhD candidate (in the future), I'd be required to have a reading / working knowledge of 3 languages related to my field.

I wonder if people post here languages they have a real intention to study. Listing some languages they like the sound of or find fascinating will make the lists much longer. In other words, if you are not a language freak, don't claim to be one. :tong

It amazes when some people post and say "I would really love to learn the ... language!!!!!" Others reply with suggestions, then the original poster disappears for good...

Please mention the dates when you are going to start or already started a language you list. :mrgreen:

The thread title is "What other languages would you like to learn, not will learn. I'd like to learn the languages posted above (and need to reply to a PM, thinking about it...), but I may not have the chance to, or the time, or whatever else. :)

But it is a bit depressing when people disappear after lots of really good suggestions have been thrown their way :(

• 1 month later...
I wonder if people post here languages they have a real intention to study. Listing some languages they like the sound of or find fascinating will make the lists much longer. In other words, if you are not a language freak, don't claim to be one.

I am.

It amazes when some people post and say "I would really love to learn the ... language!!!!!" Others reply with suggestions, then the original poster disappears for good...

Please mention the dates when you are going to start or already started a language you list.

Modern Standard Chinese, or Puthonghua or whatever. Started 2002; now in 4th semester. Paused. Planning 2 months in China later this year.

Hindi. 2002, 2nd. Close to restart. 2 visits to India, total ca. 4 months.

Bible Hebrew. 2003. 2nd. Active.

Waiting in the wings

Russian. 2001. Into 1st. 2 days in St Petersburg.

Resigned, more or less, but would love to continue

Sanskrit. 1969. 1st completed.

Semester counts refer to University.

If I were 50 years younger and financially independent, my list would be Sanskrit, Pali, Tibetan, Chinese, Japanese, to prepare for Buddhist studies.

I wonder if people post here languages they have a real intention to study. Listing some languages they like the sound of or find fascinating will make the lists much longer. In other words, if you are not a language freak, don't claim to be one

I have to admit that I probably won't learn German. :wink:

You can bet though that I am devoted to learning Korean. Once I achieve proficiency, it's on to Shanghainese. My maternal grandfather spoke Shanghainese. Finding learning materials on Shanghainese is tough especially when compared with Cantonese.

Therefore I am devoting full time with Korean.