Chinese-Forums

gyms in chengdu

geenfietsen

hey guys

I am about to move to Chengdu. I'm keen to continue working out while I'm there - I am currently a member of Fitness First in Australia and California Gym in Hong Kong, but don't think that either of them have any gyms in Chengdu..

Are there any local gym chains (or even individual gyms) that people can recommend? If not, where can you workout in Chengdu? Can you pay to use hotel gyms, for instance?

Also, how much do they generally cost? I'm only going to be around for 4 - 6 weeks so will probably be looking for a casual membership rather than a longer-term membership.

Would really appreciate any thoughts!

Cheers

Yin

I can't help you out with all the specifics but there are plenty of Gyms in Chengdu and you won't have to worry about finding out a hotel that actually would have a decent gym. I think I heard someone got a membership at an okay gym for 1000 kuai for 6 months or something like that but I can't be too sure.

There are some pretty nice Miracle Fitness Gyms in the city. One is by the Trustmart on Yi Huan Lu and the other that I know of is on Ke Hua Bei Lu. Near the one on Yi Huan Lu there is a place where you can swim but I never've been but a few friends of mine said that it was pretty good especially for an early morning swim. I think they used to go at 6 AM. Near Er Huan Lu there are some pretty good tennis courts where me and my girlfriend go to play. The Miracle Fitness Gyms are mostly cardio focused with plenty of treadmills and good studio options including multiple sessions of yoga.

If you want to get big then you will be mostly out of luck as the weights top out at around 60 lbs. They have good barbells so that you can max out if you want and they sell supplements so if you want to shred there's that possibility too.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would post an update in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar predicament and has similar questions...

for location reasons, ended up joining 25 Hour International Fitness near Cao Shi Jie, above the Ren Ren Le supermarket.. cost 500 kuai for 1 month (probably cheaper if you sign up longer).

Weights section is adequate but not great - they have probably about 15 machines including cables. Dumbbells probably max out at around 70 - 80 lbs; their barbells max out at about 40 lbs (!!) but there is one adjustable ezy-curl bar. they have one free weight bench and an incline bench, plus a Smith machine.

Cardio section looks pretty good, they have heaps of treadmills, some steppers, cycling machines and about 4 rowing machines.

Oh, and they sell supplements as well..

I have noticed at least two other chains walking around the city, I think one was the Miracle Fitness chain mentioned in Lavandez's post..

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I noticed that most comments were about 'real gyms' and work out, but what about more girlie stuff, like BodyPump, Pilates etc.?

Is there a gym with guided work out things like BodyPump?

Would they have webpages with the weekly schedule etc?

We are moving there at the end of the year, and I would like to know how good offering they have there with these things :-)

Thanks if anyone have time to help me out and answer.

- R