Chinese-Forums

沪 means Shanghai?

jbradfor

Sorry to ask a serious question and interrupt this thread (even though this is totally off-topic), but could someone enlighten me on the 沪 means Shanghai history?

[i have a feeling this question keeps coming up and been asked many times before. However, I tried to search on 沪 to find out, and the search engine in this site replies with "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : 沪". So it's not my fault!]

I tried to search on 沪 to find out, and the search engine in this site replies with "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : 沪". So it's not my fault!

You could have tried using google.

A very common on-line dictionary -> http://www.baidu.com/baidu?ie=gb2312&ct=1048576&cl=3&word=%BB%A6

And a very very common resource - wiki - gives us this info -

Shanghai's abbreviations in Chinese are Hù (沪) and Shēn (申). The former is derived from the ancient name Hu Du (沪渎) of the river now known as Suzhou Creek. The latter is derived from the name of Chunshen Jun (春申君), a nobleman of the Chu Kingdom (楚国) in the 3rd century BC whose territory included the Shanghai area and has locally been revered as a hero. Sports teams and newspapers in Shanghai often use the character Shēn (申) in their names. Shanghai is also commonly called Shēnchéng (申城, "City of Shēn").