Chinese-Forums

Chinese Scanlations of Japanese Manga

lilongyue

By the way, I remembered hearing something about "Death Note" being banned in China. Ran a search and found several articles talking about the glorious Chinese Communist government declaring "horror" manga to have negative psychological effects on children. This is probably the real reason I have such a hard time finding manga in Hangzhou. Typical BS from those corrupt bastards in Beijing. Apparently it's OK to have whorehouses set up shop outside of schools (which I've seen), but not comics books with some scary stories and violence. Thank god for the interent.

I saw "Death Note" being sold in a high-profile bookstore in Shanghai two weeks ago. Sounds like a made-up non-story.

Back to the topic, getting Manga in China is very easy if you order them online. Very cheap too. Got them the very next day. Got the entire Ranma 1/2 and Urusei Yatsura series, that should keep me occupied for quite a while...

Both use traditional characters. The Taiwan translations normally follow spoken language more closely. The Hong Kong translations use traditional characters but often use classical or literary Chinese in spoken conversations. In Hong Kong, grammatical and lexical features from Cantonese may be found in the language. In Taiwan there is influence from Taiwanese language and Japanese.

For example in HK they would use 泊車instead of 停車 for park car.

Here is an interesting guide for publishers:

http://www.dfat.gov.au/acc/publications/chinese_publishing_translating_guide.html

Back to the topic, getting Manga in China is very easy if you order them online. Very cheap too. Got them the very next day. Got the entire Ranma 1/2 and Urusei Yatsura series, that should keep me occupied for quite a while...

What website is this?

I got them from taobao.com, it's an auction site like ebay. Much of the stuff can be bought directly, without bidding. For the (very popular) comics I was looking for, there were thousands of offers, from brand new to first releases and stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm guessing that manga is much more popular in HK and Taiwan, it's certainly much more widely available, so that may explain why most of the online stuff is traditional Chinese. However, having said that, when I view online manga I randomly get pages in simplified Chinese, even though 99% of it is traditional. I'd say just read the traditional, that's what I do. It's good exercise.

• 3 weeks later...

the main problem here (at least with me) is to get known manga like Kenshin, Death Note, Peace Maker etc. in simplified versions.

With a EMULE instaled and Very CD to find some sources is very easy to find any manga you wish, the list is in fact very huge. The problem is.. how to order just with the simplified versions? In search field I put manhua putunghua and for filter simplified ones? How I can do?

• 2 weeks later...

You should try ordering online. All my attempts to find interesting comics in all the biggest bookshops in Shanghai, Wuxi and Beijing were utterly unsuccessful, but I found much more online. It is probably even worse in smaller towns.

Granted, I don't know much about the manga scene, so I can't judge accurately.

Reading HK and Taiwan translations will probably take a bit more than learning the characters, as the vocabulary is different, according to some posters, HK ones are likely to use phrasings and transliterations coming from Cantonese (which are not always obvious), Taiwanese ones often borrow Japanese phrases, etc.

• 9 months later...

From the Financial Times, :

One rare colourful spot in Japan’s ongoing tale of deepening gloom and doom came on Monday, emerging from the rubble of the latest corporate collapse.

SFCG, a Japanese lender whose creditors include Citigroup, More…

One rare colourful spot in Japan’s ongoing tale of deepening gloom and doom came on Monday, emerging from the rubble of the latest corporate collapse.

SFCG, a Japanese lender whose creditors include Citigroup, filed for bankruptcy protection, triggering a slump in financial stocks.

The failure of SFCG with debts of $3.6bn - Japan’s biggest bankruptcy filing in debt terms this year - is likely to make financing even more difficult for small and medium firms, one analyst told Reuters. It could even become the “first stage of a second round of the financial crisis,” said Norihito Fujito, general manager at the investment research and information division of Mitsubishi UFJ Securities.

But wait. SFCG’s chairman, Kenshin Ohshima, a man not known for excessive modesty, had a passion for chronicling - and clearly dramatising - his company’s rise. A long-running online manga, or cartoon, of Ohshima - and SFCG’s - corporate adventures makes the company’s website more popular than most corporate cyber destinations in Japan.

The manga, entitled “Tian Ma Xing Kong”, is so named because in Chinese (why Chinese?) it means to “vigorously push forward, allowing no distractions - to let your actions and thoughts grow freely”, we are told.

A Chinese artist presented the following words to Ohshima, the manga goes onto say:

In life, I see a fleet horse running swiftly, feeling the wind. But the flying horse which runs through the sky materializes as a man who has made great business achievements. Mr. Kenshin Oshima is a person who exactly fits the term “Tian Ma Xing Kong”

The reader is then offered 22 instalments - including Ohshima’s single-handed effort to face down hostile parliamentarians and a scene where SBC Warburg executives laud him as a better equity salesman than any of their staff. Conspicuously missing, however, is any episode about corporate collapse - as yet.

Here's the links:

Chinese

Japanese

English

Korean

But perhaps one should download quickly... :wink:

Edited by student

• 7 months later...

What's the Chinese word for "scanlation", please? Does the term exist? Is the word 扫描 (sǎomiáo) used? 扫描翻译?

BTW, it's easy for Japanese, in case you want to search: スキャンレイション (sukyanreishon).

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you looking to buy manga with simplified characters, you can find some series on amazon.cn.

I have bought both Fullmetal Alchemist (钢之炼金术师) and Naruto (忍者火影) from there. The price isnt bad, for FMA you can buy them in bulks of 5 volumes for 30 RMB and Naruto in bulks of 12 for 72 RMB.

• 1 year later...

http://www.17kkmh.com/ is all you will ever need, unless you want to view them offline. Seriously, don't count on English websites unless it's specifically dedicated to Chinese material (d-addicts, nyaatorrents, etc)

I just wish I was at the point where I could sit down and read Chinese, I'm just skimming now and can only get a few readings I know from hearing/seeing them on TV. Good to know that I can read even more manga, even though I will have to figure out which ones I want to read in Chinese so I don't have conflicting interests with my Japanese reading... There are tons to choose from so I should be fine. THANK YOU so much for sharing http://www.17kkmh.com/