Chinese-Forums

Ways to say "Go away!"

michfr

When I visit China, people often approach me and try to exchange money sell me some souvenir or other product. They are sometimes very persistent. Can you provide me with some phrases I can use, in increasing order of forcefulness, to tell someone to go away and leave me alone? The list of phrases might start with "Bu yao, xie, xie". The second phrase on the list might be "zou kai."

Also, what is something appropriate to say to persistent beggars when I don't wish to give them money?

滾 is too harsh, too harsh for beggers... Just tell them to go away (走開) and it's okay, if they're persistent then ask somebody to help you. (e.g. if you're in a restaurant, ask the owner to get them away.)

just say 对不起 (duibuqi) and shake your head and hands. More forceful: 让开 (rangkai) if they are in your way. And 走开 (zoukai) if you want them to scram.

if you are in a room...

and want harsh:

死出去。

How's this one? I tried it out on Guangzhou's Beijing Street where annoying Chinese touts with 6 watches on their arm always approach foreigners:

休想跟我说话!

I think it means something like "Don't even think about talking with me"

and appeared to be effective the two times I used it.

Oh! Sunyata again! :nono Are you really the barbarian depicted in your avatar?

For your information, I usually have educated fine female companions in tote when I'm strolling the streets therefore your vulgarity is totally useless for me.

I'm trying to be a little more refined when I brush off the local riff-raff.

You certainly wouldn't use such profanity in front of your girlfriend, now, would you? :oops:

:conf

I'm not referrring to the cute five year old beggar who grabs your leg at the train station trying to sell a flower, I specifically mentioned the ugly thirty five year old bugger who approaches foreigners on pedestrian shopping streets trying to sell a watch.

:mrgreen: seriously, that's so untactful, offer him a cigarette at least. Don't lose face in front of your girlfriend!

No, of course i would never use those in front of anybody in China, unless there was serious need to...

You are a total complete barbarian, aren't you sunyata?

Offer the bloody bastard a cigarette?

You not only wish to promote more smoking in China (Absurd!), you also want to REWARD touts for imposing themselves on any foreigner that happens to walk by.

:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall

:help

hai....whatever, he has a sense of humor, he is just playing it off...

in any case, offering a cigarette is standard courtesy in China as you know. Plus, if you are a bum on the streets, you better be happy to get a free smoke...If not, he can always refuse it, right?

I am just promoting courtesy, Mr. Confucius...how did you manage to forget your own Analects? it's gotta be the fruit loops every morning...Kellogg's has clouded your vision!

How did you manage to forget the Opium War, sunny?

I'd rather eat Kellogg's Fruit Loops (not the German imitation Hula Hoops) every morning in China instead of sunyata's breakfast: coffee and cigarette?

Standard courtesy in China was pouring tea for the person sitting next to you long before the unsophisticated lot began handing out Marlboros.

This thread should not be a joking matter. Personal safety is the issue. Talking to or engaging with beggars or touts escalates the siuation to a potential physical conflict. I do not interact at all with beggars or touts. I know they are annoying and a few choice words sound like a viable tactic, but I think it is best to say nothing at all and just walk away fast. I have been attacked and chased by a beggar with a knife without any provocation on my part so I take this issue quite seriously.

walk pass them, dont even look at them, and they wont bother u.

i dont give a penny to beggars but i gave those who at least came up with an erhu or some musical instruments to perform. at least they try their best to do something they can, and entertain others as well.

wow, Greenpea :shock:

haha, as for me, I've never had problems with touts and beggars in China...China is 10 times safer than back home, so I felt quite relaxed...

Confucius just disappoints me more and more...First off, there are his unwarranted assumptions - i.e. that my breakfasts consist of coffee and a cigarette. Now, where did that conclusion come from? :conf As for my remark about your Kellogg's fetish - you admitted to it yourself in another post.

Furthermore, your non-Confucian and non-Chinese background is shining through, despite your desperate attempts to hide this fact. First it was the Fruit Loops, now it's Marlboros!!! Clearly, another capitalist in disguise trying to accuse me of forgetting the Opium War. Giving out Marloboros as a sign of courtesy is equivalent to giving out individual fruit loops. If you had even a touch of decency in your character, you would at least replace it with a 中南海.