Chinese-Forums

BLCU: Fall / Summer 08'

George---

Hello everyone,

I will be arriving in Beijing during the middle of July to find an apartment and roomate before classes start at BLCU in the beginning of August. I am so clueless about this whole process. Does anyone know how I whould go about trying to find roommates? Preferably Chinese roommates? Also, is anyone else starting at BLCU around the same time as me? Perhaps we could all get together before school starts? Cheers, Melissa :help:mrgreen:

If you want to find Chinese room mates, then you could try Chinese sites like zhantai and sofang. The That's Beijing classifieds are also a good place to find room mates, but they're more likely to be foreign/English speaking.

I should also add, that you've chosen the worst possible time to come to Beijing to look for accommodation. At that time, the Olympics will be just about ready to begin and I imagine it will not only be difficult to find a place, but the accommodation available will be horribly overpriced.

Edit: See also this thread, which was just posted.

Hello Romana,

Are you going to apply for the one year course?

I have been givin thoughts to the accomodation situation and define that for the first six months ill be living at the BLCU dorms. I think this is the best option since i dont know a word of chinesse and also never been there.

Have you already send all the paperwork required for the application?

Best Regards,

Santiago

Hi Santiago,

Yes, I've already applied and yeah, I'm going to be there for one year; however, I also want to study there for one month (August) before the year's course-I want to improve my proficiency in Chinese before taking the exams for the one year program.

I'm also thinking about living at BLCU dorm for a while, and then, most probably, I'll be looking for the off-campus housing.

Hey everyone,

I also applied for the short term July semester, then if I like it, I will stay for the fall semester. I have heard good things about Peking University, so I might transfer there for the Fall semester. Willowtree, I am also stressed about finding an apartment. I don't know what to do!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also very interested in this topic as I will be arriving into Beijing to study mandarin..... during the Olympics! and be looking for a place to stay for a year. I'm presuming that this will be very difficult because of the huge demand that this time, but I was thinking that if I could find some temporary accomodation then when the Olympics is over, there are bound to be an abundance of free apartments... does anyone have any advice or think that is a good idea?

hey people..

will be @ BLCU in July.. doing 5 weeks course

then do the full semester in September..

Just wondering if it's a good idea to check out the accommodation

first, since I'll be going from Bangkok, it won't be that far to fly there

Hi everyone,

Iam also go for the Sept semester. How does it work with the application, do I need to pay for the application fee first and then send all the required docs to them (including the receipt of application fee) by post and then wait for the welcome letter? Pls could anyone advise me?

Thanks

I am still looking to finding an apartment. No luck yet because I actually want to see the apartment before I agree to anything. I will be arriving in July to check out apartments and hopefully find one before school starts on August 4th. I will also be doing the one month semester and then doing the fall semester. I was looking into staying at the Conference Center Hotel or something on campus, but i'll look more into it.