Chinese-Forums

BLCU: Fall / Summer 08'

George---

zmblum,

I'm going to be there for one year program, starting this fall too)

I'm from Russia(siberia), graduated from Uni of South FL. this spring..nice to meet you!

btw, does anybody know if its possible to live in the dorm for only one month if you attend one year course? Or if you move in the dorm you have to stay there for the whole semester?

Hey everyone!

I'm Diana, I'm 18 and I'm from Amsterdam.

I've signed up for the 12-weeks intensive program. Has anyone here done the same? I might change it into a semester though.

I'm already in Beijing and I've been looking around and about at the campus. The dorms are OK, but it depends on what building you're in, because some of the older buildings have haunch toilets and have smaller rooms. Furthermore, I've heard that there's a curfew. You have to be in before midnight.

A friend of mine told me that it's just as cheap and more fun, to share an apartment with some students in Wudaoko (the area around BLCU). So I was wondering;

Are there other students, doing the same or a similar program, that would like to share an apartment with me for 3 to 5 months?! If you're already in Beijing, we could meet up:D

Let me know!!

By the way, I was wondering, what kind of visa do you guys have? Because one semester isn't long enough to apply for the student-visa and I've already extended my tourist-visa ones..

Diana

• 1 month later...

Hi , I will be joining the fall course begining September 8 . I intend to bring my laptop.

I was wondering if anyone who previously studied at BLCU has brought their laptop to Beijing.

Can anyone tell me about the broadband network in the blcu dorm rooms and the rates. also other possibilities of internet in campus.

thanks .!!

regards, Chitra:help

There are two sources of internet on campus. One is through Cernet (their office is by the southwest gate or xi nan men), and that is where the majority of the students get their internet.

The price is 140 kuai for one month of unlimited internet with a 110 kuai start up fee. If you need a router for dorms that don't have two ethernet plugins (dorm 9 is one of these), they will sell you one for 75 kuai. You have to bring your laptop to the office for them to set you up on it, and then you have to do some set up on your own once you get back to your dorm, but they provide you with pretty clear instructions in English.

There is also a DSL provider, though I don't know much about them. This is what I was told:

it s next to the atm on campus... but u need to speak chinese because they dont speak a word of english... they give u a modem and a technician comes to ur place to set it up... then u buy a card every month that u can top up.... 800 a month for 1 mega, 120 for 2....

so it s better than cernet!

good luck

im living in dorm 17 right now and my roomate is payin for cernet, is there any possibility that we use the same account with a router or something at same time? because it has to type user and pw... not so sure how that works...

i wanted to use CNC which is the other company and much better than cernet crap, but it seems that CNC said that they no longer provide to building 17... anyways its 80 for a month unlimited ...

anyways, there is many wireless spots on the campus.. building 17 has on lobby... and some restaurants and coffee shops on campus also has...

eddie, you have to get your own account through Cernet because you have to activate the internet every time you want to get on your computer to use it, and it's one account per computer.

Also, the router has to be registered with Cernet or you won't get internet.

oh man Cernet blows so much, so whats the use of a router if only 1 person can use it at same time...

well i talked to the CNC guy the other day and he said its possible, unlike what the lady told me at the building next to the Library..

hope its really possible cuz Cernet is overpriced, not so fast, and it sucks ....

eddie, you misunderstand. Two people can use the internet with the router. (That's the whole point of getting one, right.) However, both computers connected to Cernet MUST be registered with Cernet with their own separate accounts.

i.e. I have an account with Cernet on my computer. My roommate has her account with Cernet on her computer. Both of us connect to the internet via the router.

heh yeah i see, maybe thats for some older sushes.. but in building 17 you dont need a router if you and your roomate want to use separate accounts, they have 2 internet exits here..

i just wanted to cheap out and share the internet bill, because i asked my roomate if we could share, thats if it was possible, but it looks like not