Chinese-Forums

hotmail and Chinese

Marco

I have this problem with my hotmail account, sometimes I get mails from chinese friends who use some chinese characters in there mails, my english version of hotmail seems not able to display them, and I am just a beginner in chinese so the chinese version is also not a real option, has any one a solution for this, well of course I know that becoming fluent in Chinese as soon as possible is the best option

Cheers Marco

http://world.altavista.com/ is an online translator which will give you some idea of what the chinese characters mean - don't expect a wonderful translation though.

For individual characters try http://www.zhongwen.com - you should be able to cut and paste them to get the dictionary definition

If the characters aren't displaying properly, try clicking View - Encoding and then try whatever looks likely - GB2312 is the usual one for Simplified Chinese. Also, cutting and pasting into other applications sometimes works.

As for becoming fluent in Chinese - be patient . . .

Welcome to the forum

Roddy

I have a problem with hotmail and characters too. If I send an email in Chinese (using the internet explorer language pack thing) it looks ok on my screen, but comes out at the other end as garbage (strings of numbers and symbols). It works fine for inputting text for webpages etc, but never seems to work in emails. It's not just the encoding cos I've had a friend send one of these emails back to me and, when they did, I could no longer read it either, regardless of what encoding I tried.

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Does your friend uses hotmail too?

I can receive chinese characters with my hotmail, but if I receive the message on my normal account with eudora as a viewer, it doesn't show... if I then forward the message to a hotmail account it shows not the characters, but the 'garbage' which eudora showed...

JP

Emailing from hotmail shouldn't be a problem, just displaying with some e-mail clients is... I know out of experience that eudora won't display chinese characters, unless they are in HTML-format.

I believe Pegasus mail also has some troubles with chinese characters, but haven't used the program myself.

JP

Well... on the part that Hotmail is horrible I totally agree. Yahoo is much better, but since last year I use ad-free-mail (http://www.ad-free.info/adfreemail.htm), which allows you to check external e-mail messages as well, displays chinese characters correctly, and it has a 6 MB storage limit...

JP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm using Yahoo Mail (Traditional Chinese version) and I think it works quite well with T Chinese only, sometimes I got problem with Simplified Chinese, that's bad. But I always choose ENCODING=>GB2312 to write simp Chinese, and in most cases it was fine...