Chinese-Forums

Teaching italian in China?

transmanchurian

Do you think there's demand for this kind of "service"? I'm italian, and would like to stay in China for some months. Teaching italian would be a good way to meet chinese people and... earn my living!:)

Are there in China (in big cities like Beijing, Shanghai or Hangzhou) many italian schools?

Italian's not really in demand... even for Chinese expert chefs, virtuoso musicians, etc.

If you really want to live in China and your English is good, you can tutor ppl in English, but otherwise, there's no market for Italian.

Believe it or not, I was offered a job to teach Spanish to highschoolers last month in Southern China. Demand is going up for foreign language in China especially for learners of English who want to try their hand at other romance languages. I wouldn't be surprised if there are many schools out there who would like to have at least a parttime teacher for Spanish and/or French. You just have to look in the right places.

Rob

If not China, I reckon Taiwan might be a go for Italian. I know they teach some foreign languages that are not English in some schools, such as French. So you should do some googling.

Believe it or not, I was offered a job to teach Spanish to highschoolers last month in Southern China.

It's not a surprise. Because you are talking about Spanish, not Italian. There is demand for Spanish in Chinese.

As I said

Learning foreign language in China is still outmostly interests driven, not interest driven.

Spanish we need, for Mexico and many countries in South America. We have a young man working in our company who learned Spanish as his first foreign language.

We also in need of Portugues for brazil.

What for Italian? All the people in Italy seem to speak English beside Italian. Some one may learn it just for interest (or love), whom I met none so far.

If not China, I reckon Taiwan might be a go for Italian. I know they teach some foreign languages that are not English in some schools, such as French. So you should do some googling.

My time in Taiwan tells me that English & Japanese are the most important languages to learn there. I have met a Taiwanese woman in the US who majored in French. She ended up opening a restaurant.

monto, what is that you mean by "Learning foreign language in China is still outmostly interests driven, not interest driven."?

I think I understand, but I'm not entirely sure: Are you basically saying the language learning is still driven mostly by outside influences than by the individuals own interests? e.g. it's mostly driven by parents, peers, career prospects, etc.

transmanchurian

You asked at the wrong place. You should ask your question on one of the foreign language university BBS. Those boards are all in China, but your chance is higher.

Beside just language you can also "sell" your other skills. Can you cook? Italian food has certainly a market all over the world and I am sick of bad copies..

It is just sad to see nobody in China is interested in learning Italian

How do you know?

More embarrassed to say, I know several young Italians who are learning Chinese now. Sigh.

Why is it embarrassing for Italians to learn Chinese? Is it just embarrassing for Italians? How about Dutch, or Austrians? Is the learning embarrassing or the language as such?

Why is it embarrassing for Italians to learn Chinese? Is it just embarrassing for Italians? How about Dutch, or Austrians? Is the learning embarrassing or the language as such?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

no, no, I am embarassed, not the Italians. I was trying to say that many young Italians are learning Chinese, but not many Chinese (young or old) are learning Italian. How do I know? From reading this thread.

Thanks, roddy. :)

Embarrassing for the Chinese, not for the Italians, as the enthusiasm for their language is not reciprocated. .

Their is not much enthusiasm for Chinese language. Those who really learn it is still a very very small minority. The market for English, Spanish and even Japanese is way bigger.

Nevertheless, there are surely be some Chinese that learn Italian, but one has to look at the right places. Here is certainly not the right place. The right place would a message board of a Chinese university that teaches foreign languages. Our Italian friend would need help with that though, as they are 100% in Chinese.

Another option is the QQ rooms. Get a QQ #, and search and join a group. Search here:

http://group.qq.com

Your search keywords are: Italian, Italy, Italiano, 意大利, 意大利语

To make money out of that will be another problem, you need to find willing people near you.

I was trying to say that many young Italians are learning Chinese, but not many Chinese (young or old) are learning Italian. How do I know? From reading this thread.

This is not an "Italian language in China board". If you go to a cats board you need ask questions about cats, not many will help you with your car mechanics questions. Just my common sense approach.....

PS: I was looking for an IT<>CN<>EN interpreter a while ago and they do exist. Harder to find, but still possible.

Here is another possible suggestion: contact a, or several, (English) language school(s) near you. They will offer Italian as long as they can make some money out of it. I think that would be the most easiest and highest potential possibility.

You hit the learned market for that, those would be the guys who buy gucci and prada and dolce and maybe you'll find some interst. Other than that you could try some of the fashion schools or traders who work in that part of the world. If I were you since you seem to be able to speak English I would package together English and Italian with English being the primary focus. Or shop out your resume to a few restaurants and tout your ability to deliver authentic italian class that may work but its a longshot.

Your problem is that a market for non English western language is still young s you'll have to just wait a little while until it matures.

I am Italian as well. I am going to be spending my next year in Hangzhou. Would be interesting to post messages at a Fashion School or at a Music School. I know many Japanese opera students wanting to learn Italian. Not sure if Hangzhou has anything like that sort of activities.

I had a summer job teaching recent engineering student hires Business English in the summer for the Iveco (Fiat) Company. In addition to english training they did have classes in Italian though these were taught by a chinese teacher.

I am based in Nanjing where Iveco has a large mini bus factory. (the big white ones that look like Airport shuttles) .

You could try applying to these large companies to try and get a job. Also there are some wine importers with import from Italy, Germany and to an extent France.

The new shopping fad is on fashion. Some people will spend a month or 2 month's salary on a handbag. It is huge growth industry.

Also there are some Italian and EU chamber of commerce groups that you can try and contact to get leads.

Good luck,

SImon:)

Someone I know went to this school in Beijing: http://www.holaeurope.cn/ A google search for 北京意大利语培训 (Courses of Italian in Beijing) shows quite a number of options. I don't know any, so I can't comment.

The numbers however are misleading. Even if 0.01% of people living in cities are interested in Italian, you may still find a niche here. The drivers are what you would expect: a passion for art, history or fashion etc. The problem is finding prospects. You would also need a school to arrange visas for you. On the other hand I still regularly meet young Chinese who think Italians speak English like Leonardo Di Caprio, so English may be hard to get away from.