Chinese-Forums

dating korean girls

rezaf

OK, I can't believe that I have questions about dating Korean girls.:mrgreen:

I had a very bad start with my Korean classmates in my first term but now I have quite a few Korean friends.:roll:

Recently whenever our university needs a foreign student to give a lecture in Chinese they first come to me(not because my Chinese is good but because others are terrible:mrgreen: ) and it has made me popular among some Korean girls. It seems that some of them are hitting on me :wink: . They say nihao and zaijian to me 20 times a day and the whole thing is like a Japanese cartoon. My knowledge about this Korean pop culture type is limited to some Japanese cartoons and I also know that they spend most of the day shopping. I just know that it's impossible to communicate with Koreans without knowing about their culture. Just in case, can someone give me some tips?

Well I was offered a job with a big international Korean company and the interviewer warned me and said "we are very difficult to work for. We have a big staff turnover".

But it might be different working for a Korean woman I suppose. The women in that office were conspicuous by their absence.

it has made me popular among some Korean girls. It seems that some of them are hitting on me

You big stud :wink:

My knowledge about this Korean pop culture type is limited to some Japanese cartoons and I also know that they spend most of the day shopping. I just know that it's impossible to communicate with Koreans without knowing about their culture. Just in case, can someone give me some tips?

Ask some of your Chinese friends if you could borrow their Korean soap opera DVDs. If you're Mandarin is that good then you should be able to follow along no problem.

But seriously, what makes you think that it's "impossible to communicate" with them otherwise?

But seriously, what makes you think that it's "impossible to communicate" with them otherwise?

Well, some Koreans are just like Chinese, serious and silent, which is not that different from Europeans. but most Koreans have some interesting characteristics. Whether it's Korean pop music or Korean food or Korean movies or being extroverted(in a Korean way), they are just too much into their own culture, to the extent that I sometimes think that they are from another world.

Korean girls in my limited experience can be closer to western girls than traditional chinese girls.

They seem to be less hesitant to drink beer or soju (lite korean alcohol).

They seem to dress like Gap 90210 people or skaters.The have watched a lot of our movies. They like to chat, go out and enjoy good food, though often its korean.

They study hard and care what their parents and peers think for the most part.

I had a New Zealand friend whose chinese was off the chart and he met and fell in love with a korean girl in Nanjing. One thing about it is it is usually the westerner going over to hang out and spend lots of time with Koreans not as much the other way round. (though there are exceptions for people doing sports or other things) .

After being together for 2 years in Nanjing he followed her back to Korea. He learned Korean and taught english. But after a year or so of both of them being badly treated by her family they broke up and he went back to New Zealand.

Also plastic surgery is very common and relatively cheap in Korea. Something like 80% of women get some kind of plastic surgery the double eye-lid being the most common I think. They seem like regular people though.

have fun,

Simon:)

Also plastic surgery is very common and relatively cheap in Korea. Something like 80% of women get some kind of plastic surgery the double eye-lid being the most common I think. They seem like regular people though.

haha interesting point...there is some baaaad plastic surgery around though too:mrgreen:

Korean girls...hmm. I think Korean girls in my experience remind me of Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. They can be very quiet and study hard, but then they go party and go crazy too...maybe even crazier than a western student since they actually have to pass their HSK or something and need to let off some steam. I've had my share of Korean roommates in China and the US. In the end though, they very much are under the control of their parents and peers. However, the few exceptions are (this is trailing off just Korean girls to include guys) when one of them just goes 'awol' and steers clear of all Koreans in general. The AWOL Korean is easy to spot, they usually don't speak Korean 24/7 (usually this means their Chinese or other foreign language is quite good already) and actually hang out with other nationalities of students...even (god forbid) Japanese students, will complain about other Korean students, and they actually picked their major themselves and wanted to come to China.

The AWOL female will talk to guys and girls without being super shy and may not have even had plastic surgery~maybe even appear slightly tom-boyish in comparison to the other ones. They should be pretty easy to talk to actually~quite down to earth. Mess around with one of the other one's and you'll probably have to keep it on the down low since she'll probably be picked apart by her 'friends' and never ever hear the end of it...but hey what do I know:mrgreen:

The AWOL Korean is easy to spot, they usually don't speak Korean 24/7 (usually this means their Chinese or other foreign language is quite good already) and actually hang out with other nationalities of students...even (god forbid) Japanese students, will complain about other Korean students, and they actually picked their major themselves and wanted to come to China.

The type that I am talking about is definitely not like that but apparently they are really into 大眼睛,高鼻子. Where I study all the students are either Vietnamese or Korean and most of the American and European students are ethnically Chinese or Korean. This makes me one of the few pure laowais :wink:

Sure they are very modernized girls but it is in a very Korean way. Seeing how Koreans stick together in big groups doesn't give me the idea that a relationship with a 大眼睛 laowai is actually possible. Are they after flings or long-term relationships? Is breaking up normal or are we talking about a lot of tears and fights?:(

Now I sound like a businessman but I should know a little bit before I start anything, don't forget that they are laowais for me as much as I am for them :mrgreen: