Chinese-Forums

Question about the word 'later'

geekmeister

I've been using the Pimsleur CDs to learn Mandarin and have found them useful for learning the basics of the language. I've also been writing down the vocabulary and basic grammar in a document to study separately and have lately started adding in the Chinese characters.

I ran across one problem however... The word 'later' in the lessons is said to be something like 'guo yi hua er'. However, in trying to find the characters for this phrase, I have not found this particular translation in any dictionary. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

So, my questions are: Is this phrase commonly used? Why would this particular phrase be used instead of some of the other available 'later' translations? Also, what are the chinese characters for this phrase?

Many thanks for your assistance.

it's guo yi huir=guo yi hui er= 过一会儿, nothing special, you just didnt get the "er" 儿化音。

but yes, your listening serves you right way, the "hui er" is not so scientific to mark this pronunciation, it should be something like" guo yi hua er" .

this a copy of a previous post of mine:

"Actually there's a document called "Pimsleur Companion Mandarin I.pdf", which covers the entire first chapter (out of the 3 main chapters). It is very thoroughly with transcripts and introduction of new words for each lesson.

I think it is not an official pimsleur document and you can download it from kazaa.

(I haven't found anything of the like for the other chapters though)"