Chinese-Forums

typing out bopomofo?

aafrophone

i was wondering if anyone knows how to type bopomofo characters. i'm using windows XP and i usually type with the Taiwan IME setting to get my traditional characters, but i dont' know how to imput pure Bopomofo character. any help would be greatly appreciated.

謝謝!

a啊福羅phone

Actually, sogou pinyin has a built in feature for typing 注音符号. No idea if it's good or not, since I know nothing about zhuyin. :oops: Basically, you select the zhuyin input mode and get this little keyboard in the corner to know which key represents which symbol.

Actually, I would think that all Chinese input systems have these features nowdays. Maybe you just need to do a deep search into your menus. :lol:

Edit: Ah! Beaten!

1732_thumb.attach

I usually type using pinyin, or sometimes 倉頡 to type words if I don't know the pinyin. But I also have the 注音 input method installed just to satisfy my curiosity, and I'll be damned if I couldn't figure out how to type out bopomofo. I looked through the help section and as far as I could tell there isn't a way to turn off conversion. The only way I know to type bopomofo is using the Google Pinyin IME. You can turn on 注音 keyboard and type normally.

ㄨㄎ ㄏㄨㄟ ㄉㄚ ㄓㄨ ㄧㄣ

But idk about tone marks, I'm not that familiar with 注音。

Just mess around with the settings and I'm sure you'll find it. Or just ask anyone in Taiwan what IME they use which has the function. Or you can just download Google IME which has the function and while you're at it, you can switch over to Hanyu pinyin which is much faster to type with a good IME like Google. :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

to type pure ㄅㄆㄇㄈ just type in the "letter" or character or whatever you call them or type in the tone mark and press the spacebar in the normal "Microsoft New Phonetic" IME (i.e. the one that lets you type in Chinese using Zhuyin Fuhao), it works quite well, though with some characters/letters such as ㄓ and ㄨ you'll have to press the down arrow to open the menu that lets you choose the character you want and choose the correct letter/symbol from the list. Be careful with 一 vs. ㄧ though, it can get tricky depending on the font you're using.

Hope that helps :)

• 4 years later...