Chinese-Forums

BBC suddenly unblocked?

roddy

After all, we did get blogspot for the duration of the last 两会 when all the foreign journalists swarmed to Beijing.

Oh this sounds exciting. Can you access blogspot now? Just wondering if my blog can be read on the mainland, haha. :oops:

Hey - I thought this was a pretty interesting story so I mentioned it to someone at The Register, a tech news site - they contacted the BBC and said they reported no change... But I don't ever remember being able to access news.bbc.co.uk without proxys etc - do you? Has there been any more change?

To be honest I'm not sure how aware whoever they spoke to at the BBC is of the way the block works - they may have noticed a keyword filter being tripped and therefore assume they are still blocked, while that's a very different thing to the url block that was in place previously.

This is good news. I always thought the block on new.bbc.co.uk was an odd block. They only blocked the text news. You could always get the TV and Radio feeds (e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/news/ram/news_bulletin.ram )

Here's an interesting story in time for the Olympics about squat toilets. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7304246.stm

"It comes in with no problems or proxy ... even with a rather large report about his holiness [the Dalai Lama]' date='" wrote one web user.

Others suspected its availability might only be temporary, with one noting: "I doubt it will last, but refreshing to see."[/quote']

from here.

They might have signed up and said hello :wink:

• 1 month later...

I hope I'm worng, but the BBC News site seems to be blocked again this evening.

Could the idiots be so stupid to reblock it just as they are winning some praise for their openness about the earthquake?

Hey Liuzhou, you are up late mate...!! Nope its not blocked here in Wuhan... got through after a few seconds... no proxy just bareback... one of the top headlines is "China declares National mourning"...