Chinese-Forums

which simplifed characters you like / hate / wanna change?

zozzen

Small poll. Simplified vs. Traditional characters is our last straw to heat debate. Brushed asides the regionalism or nationalism and let's talk about the sharp of characters itself, which simplified characters do you like, hate, wanna change, wanna keep?

While the general preference of members here is mostly predictable based on the country they come from, but i'm still wondering which characters exactly you talk about when you say "love" or "hate" this form of script.

The full list of simplified chinese:

http://www.stlcls.org/s-words/Simplified_word.htm

Me: Traditional users:

Hate: 手, 箩, 天, 忧, 轻, 田, 书子, 水, 人, 规, 泉, 它 (from 牠), 只 (from 隻)

Love: 泪, 国, 画, 无

I also like 泪, it makes much more sense to me than 淚.

I'd like everything with the 专 component in it changed. Not sure what it should change to, but that 专 is a pest to write.

Apart from the simp vs trad debate, I'd also like to change 嫉妒 (and other such characters). What does jealousy have to do with women? Just give it the heart-radical instead.

I like them all. Go simplified characters, woo! So much easier to learn and quicker to write. The only simp char that annoys me is 爱. I mean, taking the 'heart' out of 'love', what were they thinking?

sometimes i think there is no reasonable explanation for some of the simplified characters.i don't like characters with 头. 繁體字 is more beautiful but i vote for 简体字 because 繁體字 is very difficult. i just learn it for my calligraphy class .

* :roll:i think 美丽 is better than 美麗.

Apart from the simp vs trad debate, I'd also like to change 嫉妒 (and other such characters). What does jealousy have to do with women? Just give it the heart-radical instead.

Then too much change is needed.

姦 - man can be raped too..... and this word seems to suggest a lesbian orgy among women....

好, 妙, 妥 - "masculinist" would argue they can be "good" too.

妝 - cosmetic company's advertising : "mark-up isn't exclusive to woman".

媒, 妓 - male holds strong hands in these industries now.

妾 - huh, we have the term "二叔"...

姓、嫡 - hmm.... we evolved from the enatic society for thousand years....

奸 - 奸臣 and 漢奸 are the occupation almost exclusive to male in history, possibly except 村島芳子

姦 - man can be raped too..... and this word seems to suggest a lesbian orgy among women....

好, 妙, 妥 - "masculinist" would argue they can be "good" too.

妝 - cosmetic company's advertising : "mark-up isn't exclusive to woman".

媒, 妓 - male holds strong hands in these industries now.

妾 - huh, we have the term "二叔"...

姓、嫡 - hmm.... we evolved from the enatic society for thousand years....

奸 - 奸臣 and 漢奸 are the occupation almost exclusive to male in history, possibly except 村島芳子

I'm all for it.

妝 give it a face 面 instead, that's where most of the make-up goes.

妓 maybe with body 身 instead, that's what they're selling.

Any suggestions for the others?

I'm all for it.

妝 give it a face 面 instead, that's where most of the make-up goes.

妓 maybe with body 身 instead, that's what they're selling.

Any suggestions for the others?

hey, i remember there's a similar topic before ( something like "Chinese is discriminating against women", but i can't find it). let's start a new thread for this.

I hate how 夠 got "simplified" into 够. For some reason it is not in the linked list of "simplified" characters.

I don't think there was a conscious decision to 'simplify' the character by swapping the two sides. As you say, this character doesn't appear in the lists of simplified characters published in the Mainland, and this is more likely to be a case where two variant forms have existed for a long time. It is just that 够 has become the standard form in Mainland China, whereas 夠 has ended up being the more usual one in traditional characters.

A similar case is 强, which now turns out to have more strokes in the standard form used in simplified Chinese. The form 强 used to be common in traditional characters too, but present-day fonts have favoured 強, with one less stroke than the 'simplified' one. Again, this character doesn't usually appear in the lists of simplified characters.

These characters were also simplified in Japanese (not a complete list). They had a simplified version for a long time in China. I would leave them alone if traditional/simplified characters were to merge in the future, that is I like these simplified characters:

Sorry for the vertical list.

寿

湿

I actually find Japanese simplification better than the Chinese but in some cases, when the characters are too complex, they just use Hiragana (more often, instead of simplifying complex Kanji), instead of characters: 奇麗 -> きれい, whereas Chinese have simplified the 2nd character: 奇丽. Character is too complex, IMHO.

some simplified characters seem to be strange to me, but think it twice, it seems reasonable.

喂 vs. 餵.

I just learned that 餵 is abolished in simplfiied and replaced with "喂". It's weird to me as cantonese speaker (喂 means hey!) , but it seems acceptable. The same radical with 喝, 吃.

And some pictophonetic characters (形聲字), which make up most chinese characters, seem to be better even in simplified form. e.g. 猶 is transformed to 犹. It doesn't affect the origin of the word at all.

I think someone had mentioned earlier that they liked 丽. I I think that this one should start to be used more often in writing by the traditional crowd than 麗. To me, the words have to look like what they mean. While there's nothing beautiful about 麗, 丽 on the other hand looks like a pair of eyes with a unibrow going "hubba hubba" over the beautiful girl passing by.

龟 vs 龜

The one on the left, of course, if used with a normal font size - you can actually see what it is, otherwise always write the other one huge - good for calligraphy but not for practical use.

I'd say at least 爱,华,汉,龙. These characters should not be sacrificed for the sake of simplicity.

龙 might look too simple but its traditional version - 龍 (16 strokes) is a bit too complex when you have to write it. Of course, if you grew up with these written everywhere, they start looking easy. I know some students used this character as an example of "scary dragon character" - scary from writing point of view. :mrgreen: The Japanese have simplified this character differently - 竜.

That Japanese dragon looks like a frog to me. 龍 is not easy to write at first, but it's not one I ever forget now. And it just looks too good to simplify.