Chinese-Forums

The Grand First Episode Project. . .

roddy

Thanks for the kind words, it's always a nice feeling, but do keep in mind that the most up to date version of all info is now in the index thread: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/24097-tv-series-recommendations-and-index-thread . If you're interested in Chinese series, that thread should keep you busy.

Which reminds me that I need to update that thing one of these days...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've watched a few episodes of AA制生活. I'm not hooked to it (haven't watched for a while), but it's not that bad either when you compare with many other Chinese TV dramas. Agree that the language is suitable for intermediate learners. I thinks shows like 裸婚时代,幸福三颗心 and 夫妻那些事 are pretty much on the same level, these I've watched from first to the last episode.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions xuefang, will keep those in mind if this one gets too boring or after I finish it up. For now I feel as you described - objectively AA制生活 is not great, but relative to other Chinese shows it isn't horrid and also hits the sweet spot for my level.

I would say that First Episode 66 - 蜗居 is, by far, the best modern Chinese drama of the last few years I've seen. It is based around the real life story of the last guy at Bo Xilai's level to take a fall, the main character is his early twenties mistress and her family. It takes a serious look at how cutthroat life is in China if you are an out of towner with no connections, believable real people relationships, ridiculous property prices, corruption and more. Much more of an edge than any other modern Chinese drama I've seen.

I've also watched the full series 裸婚时代 and 夫妻那些事, and liked them. I haven't watched 蜗居 yet but have heard good things from everyone who's seen it.

I also recommend 租个女友回家过年 and 海派甜心 (this is a Taiwanese series that's one of my favorites).

• 4 months later...

OK, I've finally split off some of the recommendations heifeng and others have been making into separate threads, and added all remaining episodes to the index thread.

The latest ones are missing vocabulary and language level evaluation, so if somebody feels up to the challenge... :P

I think it's better to have them up in separate threads if somebody bothers to write an introduction, people are more likely to see them that way.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

This project started as a regular (i.e. weekly) watching activity, where people would join and watch together. In the meantime, it was split off and morphed into this writeup/discussion subforum, where people recommend TV shows they liked, and comment on them.

So, as long as you find a show that interests you (http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/24097-tv-series-recommendations-and-index-thread/) feel free to post in that thread with comments and questions, and somebody is likely to answer.

We haven't had fresh recommendations for a while, but they are still welcome, if you have a TV show you think we should all watch. Currently, I'm watching the fourth season of 爱情公寓 and the second season of 魔幻手机.