Chinese-Forums

The Grand First Episode Project. . .

roddy

I'm currently watching the Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre, but it's quite spotty and there are certainly better wuxia shows out there. If you're interested in checking some wuxia out, I'd recommend 射雕英雄传 (2003 or 1983 version) and 天龙八部 (2004 version). Give it 5-10 episodes because things generally only tend to start really developing around that point. Once you get used to the improbable things, they are generally based on interesting characters and are really really fun to watch.

Of the shows I haven't watched, I think that 给我一支烟 and 痞子英雄 would be the most interesting.

I also wouldn't mind giving 编辑部的故事 a go, it's an oldie-goldie, and the first TV show recommended to me, by my Chinese teacher at the time. A piece of trivia, the actress playing the secretary here, 吕丽萍, also played Guo Jing's mother 李萍 (check the names!) in the 2003 version of the Condor Heroes. I also hadn't noticed until it was pointed out to me.

And while we're on the topic, 陶虹, also known as the younger sister from "Empty Mirror" played 纪晓芙 in the 2003 version of the "Heaven Sword". That almost made me switch to that version, but she dies soon so I didn't bother.

Edited by renzhe

I don't know what I'm doing in Taiwan, but I actually prefer erhua, so it wasn't that much of an issue to me. My classmates almost collapsed with laughter though when I referred to our textbook as the kèběr :mrgreen:

I think a 痞子英雄 movie is due to be released sometime soon, so there's something to look forward to, chrix. I should go and watch another episode now, in fact. Renzhe, if you've never watched an episode, let me encourage you to give the show a try. You'll love it.

Oh yeah!

After a while, you start thinking "Wow, so he is the son of the third elder of the Golden Dragon Sect! They are mortal enemies of our hero, and they wield the Seven Poisons Finger. Now he needs to find the 18 Element Palm Manual and cultivate his internal energy so he can free his sworn brother from the Pink Panda Island and they can deal with them together" and stuff.

It's lots of fun, really!

I should be continuing with 编辑部的故事 and 长恨歌, both of which are excellent but have fallen off my viewing schedule. However if Gougou is starting from scratch with 潜伏 or 编辑部的故事 I might join him in that. I may also lend him my subtitled set of 编辑部的故事 DVDs if he asks nicely.

空镜子 is a great piece of TV, hopefully you'll come up with lots of questions so I can go back and watch bits of it.

I've seen 潜伏 twice, last time during the Christmas holidays, so I wouldn't join in there. Full recommendations, though, everyone I know who has seen the show has spoken highly of it.

I'd watch 编辑部的故事, though. Or 我爱我家. Otherwise I'll look for something not too challenging to watch after finishing the Heaven Sword.

• 2 weeks later...

I mostly watch HK TV, and I don't usually finish watching the whole series. But I did finish (or almost finish) these, and I think they are pretty good (though a bit dated).

衝上雲霄 - you might feel that you are watching an airline commercial but it is quite good in my opinion.

金枝慾孽 - a period drama with Qing Dynasty background. I think I have mentioned it many times. This one is really good.

I don't download. I am pretty sure they can be found on the internet very easily. Do take a look if you are interested.

I have watched them and I don't think I will re-watch them any time soon. If this is not the place to post this, please move it to an appropriate thread.

• 1 month later...

Check out 甜心特工, a show about a couple of special agents deployed to protect the President's son (from himself); it's dubbed and subbed into Chinese from the original Korean. (Yeah, it can get a bit tiring to listen to the dubs -- if I hear 车英 one more time I'm gonna kill myself -- but the vocabulary is tougher than that of most Korean shows on Chinese TV.)

It's pretty good. Kinda got tired of not watching anything action-related in Chinese. (On a side note, 24 is dubbed into Mandarin -- I can't find it online anywhere, though. Amazon.cn has the first season available, but not the others.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello comrades,

just wanted to recommend a really good tv-series called 血色浪漫. It's about Beijing 流氓 back in 1968. The language is pretty difficult, with the standard Beijing accent (where they mumble every single word), but it's really funny, fast, with lots of wordplay and plenty of 雷锋 references.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've been very inactive around here, sorry about that. I'm swamped with work at the moment, and everything else is on hold, including Chinese.

I expect to have a more time in a few weeks, and I'll probably get back to watching a bit more actively around then. In the meantime, feel free to start threads on shows you happen to be watching, as some people have been doing. I'll try to put the needed references in as I catch some time.

At the moment, I watch the odd episode of 武林外传, which is very entertaining indeed. I'd recommend it, but I guess that everyone who is capable of following this one has already seen it. Watching this show is a bit odd, in the sense that I don't know many of the words, but I do know the characters. So listening is difficult, but glancing at the subtitles usually works. Perhaps I'm just more used to reading words like that (in Wuxia, for example) than hearing. I certainly don't hear people talking like this :)

Anyway, there are several things we can look forward to this year: the second season of the magic mobile phone (it's been in production forever, any news?) and the second season of iPartment, which was planned as far as I know.

• Like 2