Chinese-Forums

Teaching Russian? (Besides English...)

ZhangXinQiang

Besides English.......Is there interest in learning Russian in China?

I am living in USA long time. But grow up bigger part of my life in Russia. Right now student in University, studying engineering.

But also learning Chinese (Still a beginner). But.. In future I am thinking of going to China and teaching there (at least this way I can see China much better and also learn Chinese much better).

Also.... Do you think my degree matters? Can I teach there even that I am major in engineering?

Yep, you'd certainly be better off in the north-east. That aside, have a read through the discussions on here on teaching Italian / Spanish, etc - basically the same principles apply. It can be done, but it's not quite so easy to find the work as it is for English.

As others have said, you could probably find something up in the Heilongjiang. I'm not sure if you could get an official job, but I'd imagine that you could do some part-time jobs.

This google search also provided info that the teaching of Russian is still going on at the university level in heilongjiang:

http://scholar.ilib.cn/A-hebsydxxb-shkx200401040.html

Here's a post (from 2007) of college looking for 10 Russian teachers, although I assume they mean Chinese people:

http://www.121job.cn/article/show.asp?id=4753

Still, you could always email them and ask if they need native speakers of Russian. You never know.

There are a surprising number of Chinese who had to learn Russian at school when they were kids, most of them are in their fifties now.

Da, so had I. That's mainly because we didn't have teachers in English then.