Chinese-Forums

QQ now has English sign up

flameproof

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I used the url suggested here,received a registration number and downloaded the English version of QQ (2005, Vista compatible). However, when I launch the QQ program and get the sign-in screen (see attachment), after I input my QQ number and password (selected as part of the program download process), I cannot actually sign in to QQ. Also, the sign in screen cannot be expanded, in case there are other buttons which I cannot see in the reduced view. Any suggestions are welcomed.

• 2 weeks later...

I concur, QQ is scary stuff. I ended up getting my QQ number from the Chinese site (http://haoma.qq.com) as English signup was completely non-responsive*. I would highly recommend NOT downloading the QQ client. I also went with Pidgin.

Re: QQ. After trying about 3-4 times*, I finally got the QQ client to download (server busy?). I distinctly unchecked a number of "extras" including the "so-so" toolbar. When I actually did the install, sure enough, it installed the "so-so" toolbar among other things. My computer is pretty tightly locked down. As soon as I launched, I started getting pop-ups all over alerting me of downloads from strange places. I immediately uninstalled - though this was not without errors. I ended up manually clearing out the startup folder, desktop, etc. Finally, I rebooted, sighed a sigh of relief, launched my browser only to find... qq.com. Sigh.

Enjoy!

Tim

*In California, perhaps that's why?

• 1 month later...