Chinese-Forums

Hong Kong style cafe

Ian_Lee

I think it was more an opportunity to make a pun with the phrase "not my cup of tea". Is it only the British who understand jokes nowadays? Or is it just that our definition of "joke" isn't the same as anyone else's? I'm beginning to think it's the latter ;)

Oh well, we can keep ourselves amused.

ian,

i've tried it before. it's just weird...

it's quite sweet as well!

do they actually use condensed milk to sweeten the drink?

my perfect cuppa only consists of tea + hot water + fresh milk

by the way, i wonder why black tea is known as red tea in asia.

Actually there are lots of other drinks served in HK-style cafe like Ovaltine, Horlick, cocoa,...etc. Currently the new item added is Ribena with lemon.

It is strange that Ovaltine, Horlick and Ribena have never appeared on the menu on any fast food restaurant in US but in HK.

• 1 month later...

My personal favorite HK cafe dish is Portuguese Chicken. There is a restaurant in New York Chinatown called Ming Xing that does a good version comparable to what I ate in HK.

As for drinks, I stick with milk tea. I never got used to the coffee/tea mix.

• 1 month later...

Usually for HK-style cafe, they don't serve Portuguese Chicken or even if they serve, that is not the authentic stuff.

Portuguese Chicken has to be prepared by the oven. Owing to the compact setting in most HK-style cafes, usually they do not install the big oven in the kitchen.

For really authentic Portuguese Chicken, usually I enjoy it in the Saliman Restaurant in Macau.