Chinese-Forums

Chinese authors who write in English

Luoman

I liked Jung Chang, Wild Swans was the book that initially got me interested in China, which eventually led me to study Chinese, so even though I don't love the book anymore like I did when I first read it, you can say it changed my life.

I just finished reading Wild Swan. The first time I heard of this book was a few years ago. My Irish friends kept asking me about it. Apparently it was very popular. I just left my home country at that time and I had so many other books to read so I didn't have time to spend on reading something I might have already known. On in recent year or two that I start reading books about China written by other Chinese in English. Wild Swan is one of them. To my suprise, I enjoyed it. The writing style is not to my taste but the story is so China and it reminds me my own family stories. I actually met Jung Chang once on a reading of her more recent book about Mao. Her "I-am-the-ultimate-expert-so-you'd-better-believe-everything-I-say" attitude put me off.

Edited by miss_China_so_much