Chinese-Forums

Is 不 bu4 or bu2?

xuefang

However, when it comes to one particular language, shouldn't we have a standard?

I totally agree with you that there should be an official standard for Putonghua. However, because putonghua is the national language I believe this official standard should also take into account how the language is spoken in the southern parts of China. I'm not talking about different grammatical structures or vocabulary, just accents(slight tone and syllable differences). As long as people understand each other fine, I think small regional differences aren't much of a problem.

The marry/merry anology doesn't hold here coz internationally there isn't a standarded English system all the native speakers agree on.

Couldn't this be because its very hard to totally eliminate regional accents, not to mention rather unnecessary?

Also, bear in mind that I'm talking about 普通话,not 北京话. It's totally justifiable for Beijinghua to have -er endings everywhere, but since Southerners find this rather strange, it's not considered standard usage in modern Putonghua.

• 3 months later...