Chinese-Forums

Audio for TLI Practical Chinese Books 1 & 2

Luobot

This website, “Joshua Lawrence - Adolescent Literacy Research”, which I just happened to come across, has downloadable recordings for Practical Chinese Books 1 & 2. I found recordings for book 1, lessons 1 through 24 -- except lessons 17 to 20 appears to be missing. It also has audio for book 2, lesson 1 through 20 -- except that lessons 4 & 5 also appears to be missing.

Although the site indicates the audio is for the TLI books, someone familiar with this material would need to confirm if it's the same as that which TLI offers. I suspect these were recorded from old tapes, possibly from an older edition of the books. I’m not sure how useful this audio is on its own, but given that its for free, I might consider purchasing the books to go with them, if they are separately available. I've heard in other threads that the TLI books are pretty good, but I'm not sure if they are good for stand-alone study, or if now, you need the whole TLI course. If so, then you've upscaled from free audio, to purchasing some books to go with the audio, to making a major educational investment. Nice business model, if that were the idea; however, the site instead appears to be in the business of "Adolescent Literacy Research" and it has numerous resources in that area, if it is of interest to you.

When I went to TLI the tapes/books were only available to people doing the course. That was 5 years back so things may have changed. But I doubt the tapes are on the site you linked to 'officially' or with any ulterior motive of enticing people to TLI to study :)