Chinese-Forums

beijing mosquitoes...

extrapages

i know its stupid to bring back this topic, but ive noticed something very bizarre about beijing mosquitoes. usually, id either get bitten or hear a buzz, and id get up to hunt it down. and if i find one and kill it immediately after getting bitten, it usually results in a very satisfying splat of my blood - proof that i killed the one that got me. its a very fulfilling feeling, possibly even more than most people because im actually allergic to mosquito bites and they swell up pretty bad, staying with me for days, usually scarring. the best is when i get bitten on my face and it looks like i got attacked by a snake.

ANYWAY, ive gotten bitten many, many times... and killed many, many mosquitoes right after getting bitten - but i have yet to kill a SINGLE mosquito that has blood in it. this is very, very disturbing for many reasons:

1. where is my satisfaction?

2. am i actually killing the ones that got me or are they ALL getting away???

3. do they think its funny to bite me and then not take any blood? i mean, at least take sometime to justify the swelling....!

4. does this mean the same mosquitoes will come back to bite me over and over again? because from past experience i know that if they get a nice filling, theyll go away to digest it... and you can usually find them chillin on the wall - all fat and juicy, barely able to fly straight. but not these...

5. where is my satisfaction?

theyre driving me insane. im about to go out and buy one of those plug in repellent things.. ive used them in korea, and they're pretty awesome. but that's not really the issue. im still really upset that i havent found any with blood in them. isn't that STRANGE? or is it just me?

Perhaps they're getting blood from somewhere else and squirting it into you . . . fattening you up so they can use you to survive over the winter . . . smarter than you'd think, mosquitoes. Hive mind kind of thing. Just a thought. Sleep well :)

1. where is my satisfaction? ------- Revenge.

2. am i actually killing the ones that got me or are they ALL getting away??? --------- Does that matter? A specific one may haven't bitten you, but she would have done it if she had a chance.

3. do they think its funny to bite me and then not take any blood? i mean, at least take sometime to justify the swelling....! ---------- No. They bite for blood, for their own species. They can lay a lot of eggs if they suck blood, and just a few if not. Male mosquitos never bite.

4. does this mean the same mosquitoes will come back to bite me over and over again? because from past experience i know that if they get a nice filling, theyll go away to digest it... and you can usually find them chillin on the wall - all fat and juicy, barely able to fly straight. but not these... -------------- It depends. If they went away due to the disturbance by the victim, they surely want to come back again to continue the feast.

5. where is my satisfaction? ---------- You made yourself or other people safer next season.

As this is a Chinese language forum, let have word in Chinese

蚊子:mosquito

叮: bite (mosquito) , 咬 also can be used.

吸血:suck blood

Better to have a mosquito net than anything else.

you think so? i was at the store to buy the plug-in repellent thing, and the only types of nets i saw were the kind that look like tents that you set up on your bed. is there a place i can just buy the netty fabric and hang it on hooks myself? or is it just better to buy the tent thing? theyre kind of pricey, too...

ill see how the plug-in things go. if they're not good enough, i might have to seriously think about the net because ive been waking up three or four times a night. =/

hahaha!

i know about those... i know too well, actually.

i used to live in a house with 3 other guys, and we each had our own. we swatted each other with it all the time. so much that im so scared of them now. just holding one makes me flinch. hahah!

As this is a Chinese language forum, let have word in Chinese

蚊子:mosquito

叮: bite (mosquito) , 咬 also can be used.

吸血:suck blood

why didnt i see this before? did you edit these in afterwards?

can someone post the pinyin up?

i wanna use these tomorrow for my huihua test! woooot!

Ni hao, everyone.

Could it be possible that the Beijing mosquitoes were imported from Canada? I had stayed in a campground about 50 km east of Vancouver. I have never seen so many mosquitoes in one place. They must have been bred for export - the local environment could not possibly support that many of them. I get nightmares just thinking about it.

You're not making the world safer by ridding it of one mosquito. That critter might have about ten million eggs sitting in a swamp somewhere, waiting to hatch.

The mosquito is considered the world's most dangerous animal because of all the diseases they have spread.

Now that I have given everyone happy thoughts for the morning, I'll go off and have my breakfast. Uh, I have just re-read my post, looking for errors before I post. There goes my appetite... :shock:

Where do Mossies go in winter and what do they eat? It is reputedly only Mrs Mossie who bites humans. What does Mr Mossie eat?

They don't need to go any particular place in winter in the southern areas like Guangxi. In northern part, they go into houses, caves and cellars for shelter eating nothing. So only very small percentage of them could survive the winter, they are the ones seen in the early summer.

Blood is only the "tonic" for the Mossies. Mrs Mossie need it for production of more eggs. Both Mr and Mrs Mossie suck glass/vegatable juice as every-day meal.

Mossie eggs hatch in water, it's 孑孓 (jie2jue2) in Chinese.

You're not making the world safer by ridding it of one mosquito. That critter might have about ten million eggs sitting in a swamp somewhere, waiting to hatch.

You are. There are not so many in the cities. The millions of them are in the countryside.

They are holding 农村户口,coming to cities is not easy thing for them.:lol:

After giving an encyclopedic answer to all of OP’s points, monto pulls out a funny out of nowhere.
Could it be possible that the Beijing mosquitoes were imported from Canada?

hahahahaha!

what a great way to start the morning.

yous are all crazy.

Coming to the cities from the far-away swamps by the mosquitos, of course, has nothing to do with their 户口. As matter of fact, mosquitos are not good travelers, they couldn't fly quite long.

For defence against attack by the mosquitos, there are

1) Electric trap: High voltage electrical discharge kills the mossie if she flies into the range. It's quite effective in reducing the number (mosquitos and flies) but not so after the nuber reduced;

2) Chemical repellent: Either by burning incense or heating it by electricity ----- the smell is not aways good one especially the chemical mixed in the incense;

3) Ultra-sonic device: It can produce a high frequency sound that just the same as produced by a male mosquito. The female mosquito, if get pregnant, avoid male mosquitos, and run away at hearing the sound. Of course, it is out of human hearing. But unfortunately, the device sometimes also produces some noise;

4) Net: This energy-save, environment-friendly way to keep away from mosquitos. In using this, be careful not leaving any hole or opening. The mosquitos can find any by searching.