Chinese-Forums

beijing mosquitoes...

extrapages

monto!

you're korean? me too!

well.. an american citizen - born and raised in new york city. but korean by blood.

and these beijing mosquitoes be lovin this korean blood. shieeeeeeeet.

anyway, i was thinking about getting the net... not only because i knew theyd keep out the mosquitoes but also because i wanted to make it look all nice - like a princess bed. HARHAR! but seriously - the tent things are ugly and expensive.. and the plug-in repellent seems to be working very well - DANDY well. =]

Ultra-sonic device: It can produce a high frequency sound that just the same as produced by a male mosquito. The female mosquito, if get pregnant, avoid male mosquitos, and run away at hearing the sound.

Female mosquitoes avoid the male mosquitoes, all right. They are too small to pick up an iron skillet and threaten their husbands.

d074.gif

Uh, I have a niece who is Korean American. My sister adopted her back about 1974 or 75 when the kid was a toddler. Today, my niece has a couple kids of her own. They do not have Korean names, they were given the most obscure Welsh names one could find, names I had never heard before.

I'm your typical American mutt, with Dutch, Irish, and French ancestry. My ex mother-in-law thinks I'm part African too. She insists I have one in my woodpile...

adopted koreans! theres like a trillion of them out there.

especially if they were born between 1970 and 1990.

there was this huge "export" of children to adopting families all over the world.

anyway, although i know many, i am not adopted myself. my parents immigrated to the states a year or so before i was born as an unplanned kid that ruined their dreams of going to grad school. hah!

---

so back to the mosquitoes - since buying the plug-in repellent, i have not been bitten once, woken up once, or even SEEN again the mini-vampires. it.is.so.kickass. so awesome, in fact, that im going to buy a bunch and give them to my favorite people as gifts. HAHAHA! seriously.

the kind im using is from raid. and it comes with the little plugin thing and 72 (!!!!!!!) little squares. which means its going to last me freaking 2.5 months! yeeeeayuh! they were on sale for about 15 yuan. i HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. because they are dandy.

If I'm outside, camping, or picnicking, I'll buy the repellent coils, I think they're from raid. You can light them up, and it will smolder for a couple of hours. It's not the sweetest-smelling thing around, but if you enjoy the outdoors, and lack an outlet to plug in a repellent, the coils will do an adequate job of keeping the skeeters out of your space. At least off your outdoor table.

Read this link. You'll feel much better about mosquitoes.

Thanks extrapages for your dandy advice about the dandy plugin thingy. :D I'll keep it in mind. I don't have that problem here yet, but I think I will... I like windows open rather than AC as much as I can bear it, call me crazy.

Last year I was very happy to have a male human sharing my place... not for killing the skeeters, actually I'm really good at that, but it seemed he had an overall higher body temp than mine, or was stinkier, or something... anyway they always went to him at night instead of me, hehehe...:lol:

but it seemed he had an overall higher body temp than mine, or was stinkier, or something.

haha! its probably because guys are just gross in general. i remember being told while in korea that mosquitoes are really attracted to sweat and body odor. and i always took that personally because people would tell me this after i told them that i have major problems with mosquitoes. hahaha!

oh, and its SO dandy - that i haven't smelled anything when i use it. not even a little bit of the mediciney smell that i expected.

Do we have cooties too? Or was that only in primary school

oh come on.

elementary school is when we first discovered that you boys have cooties.

all women in their right minds know that it still applies and that it is very real. HAHAH!

haha! its probably because guys are just gross in general. i remember being told while in korea that mosquitoes are really attracted to sweat and body odor. and i always took that personally because people would tell me this after i told them that i have major problems with mosquitoes

well, aren't they also attracted to perfume and scents in body lotions and such? maybe that's what's doing it..also there is this

well, aren't they also attracted to perfume and scents in body lotions and such?

heifeng, you just made me self-confidence shoot up like 234902394%.

and i will definitely try at least the vitamin b.. not sure where i can get the other stuff in china... or even if ill keep up with it. the plug-in repellent though is still SO DANDY i might have to take the vitamin b pills. woohooo!

• 4 months later...

Ugh, I'm dying here! While our apartment is fine, any time I go outside I end up covered in itchy lumps, sometimes in odd places like all over my fingers. I haven't been able to see or kill a single sucker, though -- they are so stealthy! Please, oh please, tell me they will disappear soon.