Chinese-Forums

The Forbidden Kingdom

floatingmoon

I thought it was rubbish. First, why would the Chinese need a stupid white kid to save them? Don't the Chinese have stupid wannabe kungfu master kids themselves?

I also felt Jet Li didn't played Sun Wukong very convincingly. Sammo Hung is much and much greater when it comes to Monkey kungfu.

Besides the fact that they deviated unnecessarily from the Monkey king mythology and the mythological characters, the story was utterly uninteresting.

I don't understand why Chinese actors feel the need to breakthrough in Hollywood. They get lousy roles and movies to play. Personally I like the Chinese movies they feature in much better. Rather than trying to break through in Hollywood, they should promote and help Chinese cinema gain more worldwide popularity.

I thought it was rubbish. First, why would the Chinese need a stupid white kid to save them?

Because it sells better in the target market.

I don't understand why Chinese actors feel the need to breakthrough in Hollywood. They get lousy roles and movies to play. Personally I like the Chinese movies they feature in much better. Rather than trying to break through in Hollywood, they should promote and help Chinese cinema gain more worldwide popularity.

Agreed, many of them come over to Hollywood and make crap.

But, on the other hand, it IS a way to promote Chinese cinema. Stuff like Brokeback Mountain helps Ang Lee film and distribute stuff like Lust, Caution (I'm not saying that Brokeback mountain is a bad movie).

And crappy movies like Romeo Must Die introduce Jet Li to many people, which makes them interested in the other movies he starred in, and thus getting them to watch all the movies they wouldn't otherwise know.

Chinese actresses and actors shouldn't need to come to Hollywood to become international; but that's the fact. Hollywood is high above all in the entertainment industry. Most people in the entertainment circle have a dream to go there. Or to be able to say, "I acted in a Hollywood movie." That's the stupid thing; I personally like the Chinese dramas to stay Chinese, and the American ones to stay American. It's just messed up that Hollywood is the international promoter, and not other companies.

I still think that whoever watches this movie does so for Li and Chan, and never for the white kid. He's not famous, he's not good-looking, he's a lousy actor, why would anyone except his mother want to see a movie for him?