Chinese-Forums

Taiwanese names and romanisation

atitarev

Well, it's still the romanisation your parents gave you. People might feel an attachmentto the spelling of their names for a variety of reasons. When Indonesia underwent a spelling reform to make the spelling look less Dutch and harmonise it with neighbouring Malaysia's, many people also didn't change the spellings of their names, like Soeharto etc. In a similar vein, some Japanese families still insist on using characters from before the simplification... (and many Japanese people have a preferred form of romanisation for their names as well).

Is romanisation determined by the parents? I'm not really sure how this happens, but thought that was usually decided by the official in charge as you apply for a passport. I'll ask around, it's an interesting question.

I understand it with Japanese people who prefer to keep the characters they have, as the basic 'spelling' of their name would be in characters (romanisation is just a tool), same with Indonesians who would like to keep their romanisation, as that is their basic spelling. In Chinese, I can understand if one doesn't want to use different characters, but culturally romanisation has never been particularly important, from what I know (or English names wouldn't be so fashionable).

Well, I don't think they all came up with the romanisation by themselves. And Ma travelled from a very young age, and surely had a passport before he could decide such matters himself... I'm not sure how attached people are to their romanisation, surely less than to their hanzi, you certainly have a point there, but I think for many family tradition plays a role.

I'll also ask around, hehe....

This is slightly OT, but we could also open a thread about the craziest Western name for a Taiwanese person you came across... :mrgreen: and bonus points if these crazy names were actually registered in the passport...

Oh, this is one of my favourite topics! Totally inappropriate English names chosen by Chinese people.

I've read a report about the youth in Shanghai once, and there was a young aspiring model in there who named herself "Cream".

And one guy called himself "Stiffy".

I don't think English names usually get registered in passports.

And look around on the web, forumosa has a thread on this that runs in the tens of pages, and is hilarious.

I haven't met anyone with really weird names (the weirdest was a guy named Jackal, which is not that crazy, compared to some), but I do know Ma Ying-jeou's English name: Mark.

yeah many choose not to, but I seem to recall that you can do so if you want to... (it so happens that most of my Taiwanese friends don't use English names anyways)

I have only been told this by another person, but he came across Lolita and Embryo. Too bad I didn't meet them in person :D

I seem to recall that you can do so if you want to...

Using what evidence of an English name? I know you can use an English birth certificate. But I think that can only be different from the Chinese name if one of the parents has a foreign passport. (But maybe you could get hospitals to bend this rule.) Maybe you could also use an English 戶籍. But I think you need some other form of ID to get an original English name in the 戶籍.