Chinese-Forums

可是,但是,不过

laser2302

I know that all the three words 可是,但是 and 不过 means 'but' in Chinese. And I see all of them being used in articles and dialogues but I can't differentiate their exact usage. Anyone here who knows exactly how and when to use 可是,但是 and 不过?

The way I understand it, 不过 is more spoken, while 可是 and 但是 are basically interchangeable.

EDIT: And I believe that the 虽然 ...... 但是 conjunction only works with 但是.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is horses for courses - 可是,但是,不过 are all contrastative and mean 'but', 'however'. Even if they start a sentence, they still need to contrast with something previously said or stated. Use of one over the other depends much on where you come from. They are for the most part certainly interchangeable. In some parts of the country, 但是 will be the prime 'but', with the odd appearance of 可是 or 不过 for emphasis and to show speakers that you do no more than one word for 'but'. In other areas, you will find it is the other way round. Probably best to use 但是 first and move on from there. Of course, there are lots of other devices and words which can be used to show contrastative effect at the more advanced level or in writing.

You should also be careful with using one or two sentences with the meaning of 'but'. 不过 as Leeyah states does start a sentence. However, if you changed the two-sentence example given to one sentence and used 但是 the meaning would be the same.