Chinese-Forums

Classical Chinese negative elements (e.g. 否、無) in Modern Usage?

ipsi()

As part of my study of Classical Chinese, I need to write an essay, and I figured I would write one about how the usages of the 文言 negative elements have been preserved, both in Dialects (which is another topic), and in public signs and such in every-day use.

I'm mostly just looking for examples, and links or thoughts on why they're preserved for these usages. I'd also be interested in examples other than just public signs (Where I guess it's purely for emphasis?). I'm also keeping this strictly to negative particles, thanks.

The other thing is that while I may be studying 文言, my 白话 isn't really all that good (despite being a third-year student!), and I'm looking mostly for books or websites or what have you in English.

Thanks in advance all. :)

否 and 無 are used a lot in forms, where you have to check the box: Are you married 是 否.

I see 是否 (as one word) a lot in questioning sentences where it translates to 'whether or not'. (I was going to make a sample sentence along the lines of 'Whether or not Chen Shuibian was a good president will be decided by future generations', but found that my written Chinese doesn't get me much further than 陳水扁是否...)

無 is used a lot in expressions that started out as classical Chinese but were carried over to modern usage, like 一無所有 and many others.

I hope this helps!