Chinese-Forums

Baoding.. studying or teaching there?

ZhangXinQiang

Any one know if this a good place to studying Chinese or teaching English?

Its kind of close to Beijing.. so I can visit Beijing anytime. But I guess, it is a little cheaper there too? maybe?

Does anyone know this place? Have anyone been there before?

I think you're right about location (it's <2h from Beijing by train & there are frequent trains). & friends of mine from small towns in Hubei told me everything was lots cheaper there than Beijing.

Other than that, all I know about the place is it's famous for tai chi balls (aka baoding balls) and was subject of an early 'foreigner in china' book ("saturday night in baoding").

About Universities..

This what they have there...

Hebei University

http://www.hbu.net.cn/en/

N5PU

http://www.ncepu.net.cn/

and some others..

From my friend, I heard, that NCEPU was like really focused on engineering. But both of them also had classes for Chinese.. etc..

Anyone heard of those Universities?

About prices..

My friend told me that my general expenses (food and other) can be minimum of 300RMB.

Renting a single room would be 200RMB. And renting apartment(with 2 rooms, toilet and kitchen) would be 500RMB.

Of course, if I will spend money somewhere else, she said, I might need about 1000RMB per month for my expenses (food and other).

What do you think of those prices? I guess in Beijing it would be a lot more.. or?

Well, thats just to live.. I am not sure how much it would be to study.

---

PS.. You mean Hebei? or Hubei which is in south?

What do you think of those prices?

Very cheap. Beijing was a lot more expensive last time I was there for a while (2005). And cheaper than Kunming is at the moment. (Actually are you sure those prices are up to date - when was your friend last there?)

PS.. You mean Hebei? or Hubei which is in south?

Hebei. Must learn to get those straight...

Yes.. I think she told me up to date information.

Of course, I will try to ask some other people on Facebook from Baoding and from NCEPU University. And make some contacts from this University.

Now I am wondering about visa..

What are my options?

I was speaking with someone. and she said that I can get travel visa or student visa... and come to China.

She said, to get a student visa, I need to register in some University and they will send me a document for my visa.

And if I will use travel visa, she said that I could also study in China. First come to China and then apply for classes in University.

(only 3 month study period)

Was she correct about this? Could I also come and study in China using just travel visa?

Or to study I would need a student visa?

Could I also come and study in China using just travel visa?

You could at some schools, but at the moment getting Chinese visas is difficult. & getting a tourist visa for over a month seems almost impossible. Also you might need to leave the country to get convert to a student visa. In the past this "just" involved a trip to Hong Kong. But at the moment, the consulate there is only accepting applications from Hong Kong residents (& perhaps a few exceptions).

It used to be a lot easier, to travel at least. Things are difficult now because of the Olympics, but are expected to go back to normal in October or so. Check out those visa threads for more details.