Chinese-Forums

Zhejiang University Fall semester 2008

Poemba

Hi!

I was wondering if there are any people at this forum who are also planning on studying at the Zhejiang University in Fall 2008. Since I'm going there and I would like to make friends while I'm in China!!

So: Speak up, or forever hold your.. breath........................

I'm currently at Zheda this semester and will be there for the Fall semester as well. Drop me a line on this thread or PM me and I'll see if I can help

lilongyue, sorry had had to rush off the other day. Good luck with your exams

Hi,

Nice to hear you enjoyed you time there lilongyue.

And pangle, I was wondering what type of accomodation is the best at Zhejiang unversity. Since I'll be there for 2 semesters! I just like to hang around with other people around my age (20) and have a nice and comfortable room! Any advice? And perhaps you can tell me more about the interaction between students and stuff. Do you hang around with you classmates, drink a beer from time to time?

Hope to hear from ya!

I don't live in the dorms, but there are two kinds: single and shared (2 person). I wouldn't recommend the shared dorms, as you never know and have no control over who you'll live with and what their sleeping, dietary, hygiene or study habits will be. The single rooms are small but nice, have small attached bathroom and internet (if you a computer and pay for it). When you first move into the room go over everything with a fine toothed comb, the school will keep your 2,000 RMB deposit over the slightest thing that may have in fact been there before you moved in, but failed to report. The clothes washing machines are down in the basement.

There's lots of partying that goes on, bars don't ask for ID, and neither do stores when they sell booze. In fact, there's so much partying that goes on, and such a high number of students who rarely make it to class, that I'd warn you to be careful. Make the most of your time at Zhejiang University. Being in China is the best environment in which to study Chinese, don't waste it. Don't mean to sound like some parental figure, but sometimes I wonder what the hell people are doing at that school.

A few other general words of warning: watch yourself in bars, that's where all the fights happen; I don't know what your current level of Chinese is, but speak Chinese as much as possible - make Chinese speaking friends, even if it's Koreans with bad pronunciation; you can buy most things you'll need here in China, but you may want to bring Aspirin and some of your favorite cold medicine (it might save you the trouble of trying to decipher the Chinese on boxes of medicine, which you might not want to do when you feel like crap).

Further to what lilongyue said, there are two types of dorms if you decide to live on campus: single dorms and double dorms. Although sharing a dorm does have it's downsides, there is also the chance that your roommate is someone who you'll become very good friends with. There is also the option of having a double dorm all by yourself, if you really want; I know of a few people who are doing this. For a single dorm, you'll get your own room, with bed, sheets and blankets, desk and chair, bookshelf, wardrobe, a TV and lamp, a wall mounted aircon/heater and an attached shower and toilet (photos below). You'll also get 60kWh of electricity per month, which I have found is plenty for general usage of lights, TV and laptop. Using the aircon/heater will use up a lot more electricity, and if you run out, you can always buy more. Internet is available via an ethernet port in the wall, and costs 50rmb a month. There is also the option of finding your own place to live off campus.

Regarding student interaction, this will depend on your classmates in class, and yourself outside class. I've got a pretty good class and we've gone out as a class for KTV, a picnic, etc. I think most classes will do that. Outside class, it's just a matter of meeting new people around the campus, (easier said than done, though it shouldn't be too hard if you actually look foreign). Depending on your friends, you'll probably be heading out to some of the local bars/clubs around the area for drinks and/or KTV from time to time, or if you fancy somewhere really close, just head across to the supermarket across the road from the dorms to pick up some alcohol, then drink it back at 二楼 (which is like a small lobby area) at the dorms. Although there are people studying here that are aged in their 40s and above, the vast majority of the student population is between 18 and 30ish, so you should have no problems finding someone around your age to hang with. Heck, lemme know when you get here and I'll have a few drinks with you.

This is what my room looked like just before i moved in, hence it being so nice and clean:

imgp2929bi3.jpgimgp2930az7.jpg

imgp2927zz4.jpgimgp2928qr7.jpg

Hey guys, thanks for all the information!! Really appreciate it.

I think I'll just go for a single room, not shared. It looks decent and I hope to spend more time out of my room, than in my room. About the partying, I'm also a student at the moment and live in a studenthouse with 25other students. I know how hard it can be to study seriously. But I've promised myself to really try and learn Chinese as much as possible, and I know I will get great results.. because it can't get any worse than now. I don't know any Chinese yet :mrgreen: I did buy a few books and I just want to learn the basics before I get there. Also because english isn't my native language. My main goal is: experience china, learn chinese and discover interesting bussines opportunities. Since I will have to start my own business when I get back, it's part of my study.

I look forward to have a few drinks with you guys when I'm China! :D

Hey Poema

Hopefully, I'll also get to be this fall in Zheda. I've got the CSC scholarship and still don't know where they're going to send me, but I guess the chances are that I'll be there (my other choices were Fudan in Shanghai, which I'll probably won't get, and Chengdu, which is in a big mess right now)

Anyhow, guess I'll see you there, you know when school starts? (They didn't inform me about dates either...)

Hey, I don't know yet when the school starts. This is because they haven't made the final schedule for the fall semester due to the Olympics. Because of Visa issues and stuff.. but somwehere in the beginning of september. Hope to see you at Zhejiang University!