Chinese-Forums

Anyone studying at Peking University (Beida) - Fall 2008?

fransiska_wiyon

I'm sure there probably are, but I didn't take part in any aimed at foreign students. It's a big university, so there are also plenty of extra-curricular activities and clubs available that you can join if you have an interest in something. In fact joining a regular club will probably be far more beneficial for making Chinese friends and learning Chinese.

Beijing winters are getting warmer. Last winter it snowed maybe once or twice, and melted pretty quickly.

well, in case anyone knows of anyone else who needs a place to stay. it's seven thousand each for 3 months, but part of that 7000 from a 7000 deposit, so we'd get that back. we are pretty much dying for a roommates cause our apartment is HUGE, 170sm! so lots of living space. so if anyone knows of anyone, let us know!

I'm sure there are probably cooking classes you can sign up for somewhere.

As for the weather, I can't remember specifics but -10 celcius sounds about right.

I don't have specific details regarding the employment situations for IT people in Beijing, however there are plenty of fresh IT graduates from top schools like Tsinghua coming on the market every year. If you're in IT and interested in finding work, these are the people you'll be competing with so you need to think what gives you an advantage over them.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

seems like most people going with the apartment option are in wudaokou (BCLU area), but how long is the commute from there to beida? you have to cross tsinghua right? which is big right? I looked on the map, but I'm hoping someone who's there can give me a sense of what its like to go back and forth everyday. Are there any good places to live that are closer to beida?

• 2 weeks later...

Commuting between the heart of Wudaokou (i.e., where the Wudaokou subway station is located) is pretty easy. It is about a 20 minute walk, 10 minute bike ride, or a 6 minute bus ride. Depending on where you want to turn off, there are at least three bus lines that run up and down Chengfu Lu that will take you between Beida and Wudaokou.

The bus fare is the equivalent of US$0.06 if you get a bus/subway IC card, and even cheaper if you can get the card for students. A bike ride in this area is probably no more dangerous than anywhere else in the city, and probably more safe because of the number of students riding around.

The Peking University East Gate subway station and the entire new Line 4 subway line is supposed to open in late September 2009. This subway station, which is literally next to the Beida East Gate, does not connect directly to the Wudaokou substation. However, it may give you more options as to where you may want to live.

Here is a map of the planned subway expansion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing_Subway#2001-present:_rapid_expansion

At Beida, you are required to have at least 18 hours of instruction per week and discouraged from having more than 20 hours per week. The odd thing about Beida (as well as Tsinghua University) is that, although you may be taking the same classes every day, the schedule may vary each day. One day your classes may start at 8 a.m.; the next day the same classes may start at 12:30 p.m. This makes it a bit of a pain to plan your non-class schedule. It also means that, on some days, you'll have less time to do your homework.

The beginning-level students generally take two classes per day, for a total of about four hours. The more advanced students may also sign up for an elective class a few weeks into the semester.

At Beijing Language and Culture University, the classes meet at the same time each day.

If you (or anyone else) wants a copy of the Beida "Study Guide for International Students" for the 2008 Fall semester that explains the course scheduling procedures and other academic matters in more detail, please send me a PM with your email address. I will scan the document over the coming weekend.

Makes sense; I can't imagine why Beida might object. I'll scan the 20cm x 14cm Guide and get it uploaded. The English language section is only 28 pages.

There is also a small Peking University Handbook (discussing "Academics," "Visas & Residence Permits," and "Life at Beida") with nine pages in English that I will also have uploaded.