Chinese-Forums

When to go & teach english in China

earthaingel

I am planning to go & teach English in China before the end of the year. I would prefer to teach older children although am open to teaching younger ones or adults, although preferably not in a business setting.

The best time for me to go is mid December when my current job contract in NZ expires. However my psychic lady suggests around September :-)

I've been told the school break in China is over December / January. Would it be too risky to wait til later in the year to get a job?

you're advice would be appreciate...this is my first post.

School holidays are form July to end of August and form the beginning of January to the first of March. If you are looking for a job with a state school or college then will will most likely start at the end of August or the beginning of March. Some private schools will hire all year round including during the holiday time when the private schools run vacation classes.

It takes some time to arrange a job and get the paperwork and visas sorted out so the sooner you start the process and talk to the schools the easier things will be. You need to find the job before you can get a visa to come and work in China. So in the latter half of this year you should make contact with a school and sign a contract with them to start when you want to start, then you can go get visas and organise yourself to move.

Thoroughly research the school, and do your study before choosing one. Make your first working experience in China a pleasant one. There are a lot of forums that talk about schools, so try to find one with a good reputation.