Chinese-Forums

Help pronounce -oun" sounds for chinese student plz

danli

Hello! I am teaching spoken English to a few chinese immigrants in my house for free. They are complete beginners. I am having great difficulty getting them over this hurdle. They are having trouble with their V's and W's. For example, instead of saying "brown," they say it like "brawn." Their electronice translator even tells them to pronounce the "own" sound like "aun"!

Can you think of any teaching lessons, tools, or advice to help me get them to pronounce the following words correctly?

brown, gown, down, ground, noun, sound

(they always come out as brawn, ghan,dawn, graun, etc.)

visit (always comes out as 'vithit')

visa (comes out as 'wisa')

work, wok, walk (all come out of their mouth sounding like ('wok')

clothes (the "th" sounds kills them)

If you can help even partially . . . thank you so much!!!!!!

Have you tried backchaining? That is, start from the end of the word and progressively practice adding bits until they say the whole word.

Also, have them read this character slowly: 凹 (āo)

How do they say it?

In standard Mandarin, it sounds pretty close to the 'ow' sound you are looking for. Of course, those Chinese immigrants may be much better at a dialect other than Mandarin.

• 3 weeks later...

You must tell them how to form each sound exactly. You may use sounds that they're familiar with. For example, you can say that [v] is like [f], but with voice. [θ] and [ð] is formed with their tongue touching their top teeth, while expelling air, without voice for [θ], and with voice for [ð].