Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua University, Fall of 08

mzpeck

mzpeck: The application process to do a degree at Tsinghua as an international student is pretty straightforward - submission of a written application with letters of rec, personal statement, etc. in the fall, followed in the spring by a written essay exam and interview at the department for finalists. The application process is in Chinese and so are classes. I feel prepared, but doubtless it will still be challenging.

Congrats to everyone coming to Tsinghua in the fall - only a few more weeks to go!

• 2 weeks later...

Just another person chiming in that will be going to Tsinghua in the Fall!

I'll be on an exchange between the University of Calgary and Tsinghua to study Mandarin from September through January.

Can anyone give me a ballpark date for the end of the Fall semester at Tsinghua? I've looked everywhere and sent a half-dozen e-mails but without any success.

Any info will help, as I need to buy my bloody ticket. Thanks!

- Nathan

Hey Nathan,

I looked at the chinese version of the admit letter, and it says semester goes until Jan 2009. There's usually a long break for Chinese New Year (Jan 28th in 2009) so we'll probably finish in mid January or third week at the very latest. Hope that helps. Are you booking a roundtrip flight? One way might be more flexible.

**scratch all that, semester ends Jan 20th

http://www.tsinghua.edu.cn/docsn/wb/lxs/Web2/EN/Announcement/20070115.html

Hello!

I am another foreigner responding that I, too, will be attending Tsinghua in the Fall of 08. Are there any others who are masters student in the MID program? I would love to meet some class mates!

• 2 weeks later...

i'm staying in the dorms but i'm a bit concerned as my letter states that i have to pay 6months rent in advance plus a 500rmb deposit... this means i have to bring with me around 14000rmb just to pay for my room?! is this standard practice or could i just pay for hte duration of my stay which is a sem which means 5 months at most?

Hey Chinagirl14,

I'm sure you're probably here by now, but in case you're not the sad truth is you DO have to pay it all. I think my room was something like 11.5k 元 after the deposit.

They do take visa though, so cash isn't the only option.

Any other exchange students on campus right now that are as bored out of their skulls as I am? I'm the only Canadian that I know of at the moment, and I just want to get out of the room and have a conversation with someone.

Well, now that I've come across desperate and all, here's to studying in another nation!

- Nathan

Posting your personal phone numbers on a public message board that is regularly scraped by search engines and who knows what else, is probably not that great an idea.

Rather than posting your number directly, you might be better off leaving a message asking people to PM you if they want your number.

• 3 months later...