Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua University, Fall of 08

mzpeck

Hi all,

It's such a relief to see this thread and know all you guys will be at Tsinghua already. I'll be starting in Feb as well- I’ll be taking beginners mandarin classes...it's so exciting! (and also pretty scary!)

I'm planning on staying in dorms, hoping for a single room in the international building but I’ve been told that I can only reserve my room when I arrive in Beijing so nothing more in advance than that which is a bit worrying.

Melissa- if the single dorm thing doesn't work out, I would def consider getting a flat off campus...I’ve pm'd you :)

So have you all settled in? language learning coming on ok? :D

I have a question for anyone who can help. I have applied to The Inter-University Program at Tsinghua through Stanford University for Academic Year 2009-2010. I've also applied for the Associated Colleges in China Academic Year program for the same dates. As those two programs are pretty competitive I am applying direct to some universities in Beijing now.

I studied at Beijing University last summer and liked it but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on choosing between Beijing University, Tsinghua University, and Beijing Language and Cultural University. I've taken Chinese for 1 year now and by next fall will have a little over a year and a half under my belt.

Any advice on applications, the school to choose, and anything else I might need to know would be very helpful. Thanks so much!

Hi,

After some deliberation, I've settled on the language course in Tsinghua over BLCU. I've found a place to stay. Looking forward to the start and perhaps get know some of you from this forum too. Btw, I'm from Malaysia.

I've a question on visa: what's the difference between an X and F visa other than the tenor (1yr vs 6mths)? Are there any restrictions on the F visa vis-a-vis the X? I understand that the F visa is single entry and (if I'm not mistaken) does not require one to apply for residence permit. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.