Chinese-Forums

TOP exam (Taiwan)

Dariush

Hi there,

I recently took the TOP exam in Taiwan, apparently it's the new version of the CPT test. The TOP test has 3 exams (beginner, intermediate and advanced) after taking the test you can get a graded from level 1 to 7. This new TOP exam is supposed to be very difficult as according to the exam board:

TOP level 1 is comparable to an HSK level 4,

TOP level 7 is 'apparently' above an HSK level 10.

As I'm in an upper intermediate class at Chinese Culture University (中國文化大學), I decided to take the intermediate exam, if you get 85 - 100% you will get a level 4 (apparently = HSK 7-8 ) or 70 - 85% you will get a level 3 (HSK 6-7). The test was difficult 'for me', it only tested listening and reading (all a,b,c,d, questions). So I didn't even reach level 3...

I was just wondering has anybody else taken this exam before (if so please tell me which level you took and what you thought about it) or is anybody else even studying in Taiwan?

Thanks in advance!

I would be interested in taking this test just to see how it compares to the HSK and to get another certificate to add to my growing collection of HSK's. But since I don't plan on going to Taiwan (or California) any time soon, guess I won't get the chance. Do you know if they have plans to offer the exam in other (international) locations? Do you think the TOP could ever be offered in HK? I know the HSK is available in HK, but now that it's part of the "peoples' republic"...

Also, I was wondering, on the listening comprehension part, did the speakers have the heavy 兒化 like Beijing speakers of Mandarin, or was it more... Taiwanese?

Hey,

I've seen ads for the test and I'm thinking about taking it at some time in the future. I'm just wondering if there is any practice material available. Listening/reading material, practice tests etc.

Thanks

Chaxiu

Edit: I really should have checked the web first:oops: There is a little info on practice material here: www.sc-top.org.tw/english/eng_index.php

Foodtarget: On the listening part, the speakers had a standardized Beijing accent (no Taiwanese accents). Apparently TOP are trying to become more of an official test; however (in my opinion) they still have a lot of work to do... they're level system is quite unbalanced as there are major differences between a level 1,2 and 3; however, less differences at the higher levels! Plus they only test reccessive skills: listening and reading... because speaking and writing are sooo unimportant:wink:

Chaxiu: As you found out, there is in-fact a mock-test which is very similar to the original (the only difference in the real exam is they give you about 10 seconds to process the info and select an answer (then they start with the next question)! One thing that the few other test takers (intermediate exam) said was that they felt like they were trying to be caught out... like most questions had been devised to trip the takers and in many cases answers a,b,c, and d all seemed quite similar!

Edit: Actually they only give you 3 seconds to process the information then select a,b,c or d (not 10). I just took the exam today and found it very difficult again - although I studied for the exam, the only exam related material (not materials) is an online mock test...

Edited by Dariush
Adding additional information.