Chinese-Forums

Banned movies

shibo77

I was wondering which banned movies/dramas of the People's Republic that you weren't suppose to have seen but still saw. Or if you're outside of China, please describe some, because I might not know them.

Recent ones I saw 走向共和 original version, and "Beijing Bicycle". They were great, wonderfully shot!

-Shibo :mrgreen:

鬼子来了 ---Directed by Jiang Wen. A good movie. When I was watching it, it made me laugh almost all the way through, feel sad towards the end, and wanna cry after it ended.

我是你爸爸 --- Directed by Wangshuo, based on his novel 我是你爸爸,which I have read and found quite good. He is very sensitive to human feelings, even the most subtle ones. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it.

Both of these movies have won some European movie awards. can't remember which movie won what though.

北京杂种--- not as good as I expected, but still not bad. watched it a couple of times. featured some Beijing rock musicians including Cuijian. Some people might find it boring coz it does not have any stories at all.It consists of moments of daily life of some marginalized people in Beijing, mostly artists and musicians.

Not yet, give me time :twisted:

I've seen plenty of 'banned' movies - what usually seems to happen is that they are denied mainstream cinema releases, but still get sold on pirate DVD. Most recently I got the uncut version of Blind Shaft - something about that in this forum also. Ironically, its probably easier to get hold of a 'banned' Chinese movie here in Beijing than it would be from the UK.

Roddy