Chinese-Forums

turka? Makes coffee how?

bottledpoetry

I bought this (see pictures below please :mrgreen:) today at the euromarket. The counter lady said it is called a "turka" and that I can make coffee in it, but alas, wikipedia and google have yielded no additional information. Can anyone tell me how to make coffee with this, or what its actually for? Thanks much!

1929_thumb.attach

1930_thumb.attach

1931_thumb.attach

Edited by bottledpoetry

Yes you can, just use finer grind than the normal grind meant for filter coffeemakers.

You might have to experiment little bit what is the correct amount of coffee and what grind is the best, but it should beat instant coffee anytime anyways :)

I make this regularly at home; my Dad (from the middle east) taught me.

You have one of these which my Dad calls a "della" (with that hard Arabic double-l thing).

In order to make it properly (so that it doesn't just take like something burnt in a French press / cafetière) you do need Turkish coffee. Basically, you can use any coffee but it needs to be powdered. You can't grind it, I think it's milled, so you need to buy it already powdered.

You bring it almost to the boil and pour it to keep what the Italians call the crema from breaking up. I forget the special Arabic word for that foam, but that's the crucial part. If you don't get the foam on top (coffee not fine enough, or boiled too rapidly) then throw it away and try again ;)

No, he didn't. He used to smoke (just normal cigarettes) but quit when I was very young.

I've smoked from a shishe at a relative's house, also when quite young, but never really got into it. Maybe I should try again; there is at least one hookah bar in Stuttgart where I'm currently living/working.