Chinese-Forums

Beijing.July 2008

hidden12345

Three times? Was it being pulled over, or are they mandatory checkpoints on the road from Tianjin to Beijing that every car must go through? Are you a foreigner? If so, what did you have to provide? Is carrying your passport on you at all times when in public simply a given now?

Details please.

Moved your post here as it seemed to fit better.

All three were mandatory checkpoints, at two of which I had to provide my passport and open my luggage. At one of them, the policemen even carried automatic guns, but luckily I wasn't shot - not even when I stepped on one of the policemen's foot. At the third point, they might have just been checking for the 进京证 or whatever it's called (which you get if your car abides by emission guidelines); we didn't have to stop.

Having your passport on you was always advised when travelling, and now apparently at any time.

I don't carry my passport on me. I have a photocopy of my temporary residence registration form in my wallet, but I've never been asked to show it or any other sort of ID. I imagine it would be different if you were going in or out of the city limits though.