Chinese-Forums

Getting QQ on iPhone 3G?

crystak

I know there's a version of QQ in chinese for the old iPhone but in its specifications it doesn't mention if it works with the new 2.0 firmware.

Is there a recent mobile QQ version for the iPhone 3G out yet or has anyone tried installing the old version on their iphone?

• 8 months later...

I’ve seen “how to” post here on various aspects of using QQ, but what I’m hoping for is more general in nature. Also the majority of the posts I've found here are not terribly recent, which could mean everyone is pleased with QQ or everyone has given up on using it.

A Chinese (girl) friend is urging me to install QQ so we can chat in Chinese. My Hanzi skills are rather low plus I've never used "live messenger" chat-ware in any language. When I exchange ordinary e-mails with Chinese friends I have time to look up words I don't know before sending back a reply. Not sure I really want “instant messaging” since I’m kind of a slow, old-fashioned guy and my face-to-face talking is much better than my reading and writing.

I'm also concerned that installing QQ will open the door to various unwanted adware, spyware, and other evil trash thus jamming up my computer. Some of the older posts I've read here indicate that it may be difficult or impossible to uninstall if I find I don't like it. Does anyone know whether that’s still an issue at this time?

Any other thoughts on pro's and con's before I take the plunge? Are most of you "Old China Hands" happy with it, or do many of you wish you had never given it a home on your computers? It may be a natural next step in my evolution as a Chinese speaker; but then again it may not.

I’d sincerely appreciate your opinions and advice.

I wouldn't have QQ on my computer if Mr QQ came round and personally installed it, cooked dinner, shot the mad woman next door who sings Karaoke at 4 am and then got down on his knees and apologised for his mess of a program.

Many of my more "grown up" Chinese friends are migrating to MSN. Just looked at my contact list. Most are Chinese.

Any other thoughts on pro's and con's before I take the plunge? Are most of you "Old China Hands" happy with it, or do many of you wish you had never given it a home on your computers? It may be a natural next step in my evolution as a Chinese speaker; but then again it may not.

QQ seems to me to be very much for the high school and college crowd. The only people who've ever asked me for a QQ number have been students (and when you tell them you don't have one they look at you . . . y'know, the same look you get from old women when you drink cold water and decline offers of Chinese medicine). Everyone else gets by with MSN and email, with Yahoo and Skype also getting a smaller look-in. I get the impression maybe it's easier to find people to chat to on QQ.

This is an interesting thread, because I swear I have the same kind of conversation with every second Chinese person I meet online:

Me: I've added you to MSN.

Them: Thanks. Do you have QQ?

Me: No.

Them: Why not??? Every Chinese person uses QQ, not MSN.

Me: You use MSN.

Them: Yes, but...

Me: In fact nearly every single Chinese person I meet has both.

Them: Yes, but...

Me: And I don't want spyware on my computer, sorry.

Yeah, spyware is my main concern. But also, I just don't want another bloody program on my computer. I already have way too many Chinese friends on my MSN (my IM of choice for the past five or so years), so I see no reason to change!

tooironic

I get the opposite response, Chinese tell me QQ is more for kids. In business MSN seems more common.

You can also use Pidgin

http://www.pidgin.im

..and Pidgin can handle QQ, MSN, AIM, Yahoo, ICQ, and and and....

Only drawback, no audio and video and no easy on screen pix transfer.

You can read/write Chinese in Pidgin too. However, it seems more difficult to change the font size, and for Chinese I prefer a larger size then for Latin scripts.

I suppose the reason MSN is more for business is because it connects with most people in the world of any language, whilst QQ (as I understand it) is mostly for Chinese speakers.

Thanks for your thoughtful responses. In order not to be rude, I owe you some follow up. My original question ("To QQ or not to QQ") is moot at this point because the young lady in question came over, cooked me a delicious supper, and then marched right ahead and installed it, supplying me with a number and password she had obtained on my behalf.

Weakling that I am, I made no protest because I enjoyed her company enough to risk the health and welfare of my computer. At a later point in time I may re-evaluate that decision and find I was both rash and unwise. But as of now, it's a fait accompli.

According to one of the posters here, it also means she can now read all my chats and see for herself whether or not I am truly a "one woman man." That's an interesting twist which I had not considered. Will let you chaps know how it all works out in a month or three.

Ah, the potential for espionage. Must be love :mrgreen:

You could also try saying something along the lines of "This QQ thing is brilliant - loads of Chinese girls have got in touch wanted to practice English with me. " Let us know how you get on. . .

it also means she can now read all my chats

That is, only on your PC. She can not login from an other PC and check the log. However, she could login with your QQ ID and see what "friends" you accumulated and can chat with them pretending to be you.

Since QQ abolished the open chat rooms it's not as easy as before to gather many "friends" in a short time. But if meeting somebody with mating potential it's always a good idea to ask for their QQ number.

I would recommend 'pidgin' - which supports various types of chat protocol under the one application.

It is also vastly simpler than some of the other clients, and also it is low in size and bloat on your computer.

If you do not wish to install it, it can run from a simple folder on your computer - you can download the portable version from www.portableapps.com - or www.pidgin.im for the full install client.

The portableapps version is slightly easier to just not install and use, but that is personal preference. It supports MSN, QQ, AOL, GMAIL, and many other chat types.

My advice would be to somehow sign up with QQ (tutorial, anybody?) and do not use the official QQ client, but use Pidgin, as mentioned.

You are maybe wondering what the purpose of pidgin is - it is basically a free openly designed application to save people downloading lots of software - imagine installing MSN, gmail-talk, AOL, QQ, etc on one machine - a real hassle!

Side note: I did install QQ once, and it installed a lot of rubbish - I've noticed this with some other Chinese software too... numerous advert-clients installed. Best of luck.