Chinese-Forums

QQ and pidgin in america

laian

So I had been using QQ frequently in america but used this other software called pidgin with out a problem. A few weeks ago i returned to america for my masters to discover that my QQ wont work here. Has anyone had any similar experiences?

莱安

Well it is very strange. Im using pidgin for multiple accounts and was not having any problems before leaving China. I did have issues with the 汉字 support for the latest update and rolled back to and older gtk to fix the issue.

i have tried using two QQ account one of which i know is expired one which should be good.

Oddly the expired one give me a response of "incorrect password". The one that should work says "disconnected unable to login".

Any guesses?

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm going to pop in here to announce that just yesterday Pidgin released its latest version which also runs on a newer version of GTK. The NULL problem and the problem of Chinese characters not showing up is completely gone - as far as my installation goes.

It's so brand spankin' new that they haven't even updated their main page! Come an' get it here straight from source forge.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=235

• 3 weeks later...

The most easy and fastest way to check is to setup a new QQ # and send it to yourself.

Pidgin/QQ for me works on Xp and Ubuntu 8.10 - but did not work on 8.04. Also make sure you have Pidgin 2.5.2 . That update fixed some of my issues.

in IE you can also use webQQ here: http://webqq.qq.com/ (well, it used to work....)