Chinese-Forums

BLCU Dorm deposit?

spades

I'm trying to see if I can arrange a dorm in advance. I wanted to get a single and when I called them, they said I just needed to wire 4800 RMB and then fax my admission form as well as the wire receipt to them from there they will reserve a room for me.

This was the first I heard of this and I was just wondering if anyone else done this before?

I also called the conference center and they wouldn't reserve a room for me as it was too early. Is it possible to reserve a spot there at least for a few days this early? If not, when is the earliest you can get? They mentioned that you should do it a couple days in advance of when you expect to arrive but that seems to be cutting it a bit close. I plan to arrive on Sept 1 for the Fall semester.

Thanks!

BLCU dorm deposit. BLCU Conference Center reserve.

If you want to stay in either of those options for the length of your stay, just follow the advice, you've not much other choice. If you're looking for somewhere to stay temporarily while you look at other options, I'd just opt for a hotel - they'll be easier to deal with. BLCU is likely innundated around this time of year with people looking for a week or two of accommodation, while from their point of view they're in the business of semester / year long lets.

Edit: Please add tags when starting a new topic :)

Thanks roddy for the info :)

Just for anyone else, they didn't mention anything about 4 weeks deposit, they just said the deposit was 4800 RMB and it was 100 rmb a night for a single which was what I asked for. Unfortunately, I didn't ask if that was for a specific dorm. I called the number of the housing dept that was on the info sheet along with the acceptance letter which is different than the one in the link in roddy's response. Does each dorm have it's own reservation process?

• 2 weeks later...

Registration procedures for Dorm 17 and Conference Center are different from registration procedures for BLCU dorms. For 17 (and CC?), you go directly to those buildings, but for BLCU dorms, you have to go to the building behind Yifu Lou (Building...2 I think??) for almost all payments, then go to your dorm building to finalize the reservation.

I got a little booklet when I booked for Dorm 6 called 住宿须知 (Dorm Living Essentials), with some guidelines for registration in it. I'll post the contents when I have some time, maybe later today.

Last I checked (about a month ago), a single room for Dorm 17 is 115 CNY a night, and Dorm 6 is 100 CNY a night (or something like 80-85 CNY for a smaller single room). Dorm 6 is much more strict about visiting times than Dorm 17 though. They will come and knock on your door to make the visitor(s) leave when it's time. Technically 17 has the same visiting hours, but they don't enforce it as strictly.

By the way, here's the number for Dorm 6: 82303308

I've never tried using English with them though so I don't know how well they speak it. Will probably depend on who's manning the desk at the time too.

I'd like to know:

1. If it's possible to get your deposit back if you want to cancel (Dorm 6)

2. When to go to Dorm 17 to get a room...

I tried to book a room from Dorm 17 for this coming semester before the summer vacation started, but they wouldn't let me do that without taking a room for the whole summer as well. And even booking for the summer vacation started only after the old residents were given a chance to extend their stay, so getting a room wasn't possible until after a certain date.

My cousin tried to book a room at 17 last semester, and went there about 3-4 times, but they kept saying they had no rooms and to come back at a later date, but when my cousin went back at that date, they said the rooms were already all taken. So I ended up at Dorm 6 instead.

So now I have a reservation for Dorm 6 for next semester, but I want to try and get a room for Dorm 17 next semester. Dorm 6 rooms are quite nice comparable to 17, but I just prefer the larger closet in Dorm 17 and the more lenient visiting hours.