Chinese-Forums

Watch Olympics opening ceremony online?

Quest

It was incredible actually, the roads were almost empty at what should have been peak hour, and there was little to no traffic on the road, and so I got from work to the party in maybe 15-20 mins.... oh right, you mean the general atmosphere, well yeah, that was pretty awesome too :mrgreen:

In London we're going to applaud madly if the stadium doesn't fall down during the ceremony and the trains leading to the venues actually work.

damn right -- just took me almost 2 hours to get home thanks to messed up overland and underground trains.....

I will say however, that finding a taxi in Beijing tonight was a friggin' nightmare!
I found it no problem at all - then again, I was travelling during the opening ceremony, not right before or after. The driver I spoke to said business was pretty much as usual.
And in news from Canada: Bloody hell, it WAS Da Shan!
I read an article about half a year back that he had been chosen as personal assistant to the Canadian team to help them get around China. Must be a disappointment for the sport stars if their translator gets asked for more signatures then they themselves...

I’m watching it on NBC.

99% of times, high expectations lead to disappointment. But this time they didn’t fail us.

I’m most impressed by the “footprints”. It was just after commercials. I didn’t realize what it was. I thought it could not be real. It must be some computer graphic in an ad or movie. But it was real! The entire city became a stage of wonderland. So fantastic! But it was just too short, only a few seconds.

I want to say: LET’S DO IT AGAIN! Let Shanghai do 2016 Olympics!

I'm watching it on NBC right now, and I have to say it's the most spectacular opening ceremony I've seen. I liked the part with the 2000+ tai chi men moving with precision and running in opposite directions. One misstep by even one person would mess up the entire sequence. It was very well executed.

Wow came on to see if there was a response or two. Didn't expect 9 pages. If I had taken part I think I would've padded my post count by a year's worth!

It seemed really cool. Only off part I think was the final runner was out of sync with the video/projected torch. Sometimes ahead of it, sometimes almost so far behind he was in the pictures. )Person beside me quipped: "Must be those protests slowed him down a little") But very cool concept of him running around the world.

Oh my gosh. You said it right. Getting a taxi right before was HORRIBLE!!! And dangerous! Everyone was running and there were cars gunning it down the fulu after whipping around corners. I am serious surprised someone didn't get hit.

All the youtube links got me looking. Thinking the opening ceremony would be most viewed, I checked. But apparently HK bumped this little incident up to claim spots 1-4. Man humps bench trumps Olympics -- at least in HK.:lol:

They kept mentioning the fireworks were lit from 居庸關 to the stadium but I think 居庸關 is pretty far away isn't it? Or perhaps I misheard?

I think they had fireworks there, but there wasn't some unbroken line of fireworks all the way from there to the stadium - would have been a waste of money apart from anything else, not many people live along that line, by Beijing standards anyway.

Your second Youtube link has been taken down, Skylee - what was it?