Chinese-Forums

Watch Olympics opening ceremony online?

Quest

George Bush is enjoying himself.

Not sure about the closing ceremony - they'll do a handover of the torch and flag to UK representatives (who are probably going to now outsource the entire event to the Chinese anyway) and presumably they'll have to hoist Li Ning back up to blow the torch out.

The footsteps were digital??
Apparently the firework footsteps actually existed, it's just that the organisers thought it would be too dangerous to have a helicopter film them live, and so what was seen on TV was computer generated footage, except for the last footstep outside the stadium.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one who found the German commentating awful. When they replayed the opening ceremony the next day, they replaced the commentators. Lots of negative comments, apparently.

No, you weren't. I can't remember worse commentating. I really don't why she got the job...

Thankfully I watched together with a few Chinese guys and had my personal commentators all around me :mrgreen:

minor spoiler coming up!!!

As the duet climaxes, Beckham rises up on a third platform clutching the football flanked by a cellist and violinist in Team GB kit, and kicks the ball into the athletes packed in the centre field of the stadium. The bus departs, transformed into an ersatz carnival float.

... and then the killer last line:

Stephen Powell, the creative director, said the intention was to create a quintessentially British moment.

It's true, there are times you can barely squeeze onto London buses for all the professional footballers chatting with classically trained musicians. Any other quintessentially British moments they might have considered?

But they are going to play the "Tops of the Pops" theme tune. Is there anything from this century?

(A Chinese friend asked me today what Beckham is going to do.I said that, according to the reports I had read, he is scheduled to kick a ball. She answered, "Can he still do that? I was so worried he would sing.")

Any other quintessentially British moments they might have considered?

probably a group of chavs board the bus and begin stabbing random nerdy classical music players gaily talking with football players... :mrgreen: doesnt quite make the same impact I guess...