Chinese-Forums

Tombstone (墓碑), a history of the Great Leap Forward

roddy

Has anyone had sight of this yet? From my five-minute long bout of online research it is: the definitive history of the Great Leap Forward, written by a veteran Xinhua reporter, whose father died in the famine, with access to official documents, very long, banned on the mainland, published in Hong Kong and not yet translated.

Sounds like a very impressive piece of work, and at 1,100 pages for three years of history is surely going to go into quite some detail. Not sure I'm up to reading it myself, but if anyone wants to have a look and summarize it for me . . .

linky.

I read his previous book Zhongguo Gaige Niandai de Zhengzhi Douzheng. That has to rank as one of the best books out there as far as understanding the huge political battles within the top leadership (whether 政治局常委会 or the 元老)over ideology, culture, and the economy. Also, it includes interviews with former PM Zhao, which describe the events leading up to and during the Spring of '89.

Anyway, the author gave a talk in HK about political reform that I attended. After that was over, I had him autograph my bootleg version of his the book and the book 邓小平时代-中国改革开放纪实, which is banned, officially, but I found on the shelf at the bookstore in the metro stop at Shaanxi Station in Shanghai. I think he was a bit uncomfortable/shocked that he had a laowai fan! He probably thought I was with the CIA or something.

• 9 years later...