Chinese-Forums

Wubi zixing IME for Win XP?

daofeishi

I have tried for days now, searching through the forums and googling, to try to find an 五笔字型 IME that works on an English installation of Windows XP. I still haven't. I have found several that will install on the computer, but that refuse to type anything but latin script once activated, no matter what I try. That goes for the one in the input wiki as well. Can anyone please point me in the right direction, and/or point out what the problem I am experiencing might be caused by?

Edited by daofeishi

I use 念青 on my English-language OEM version of Windows XP. I certainly haven't changed the language settings. I used to use Shun Software's IME on my Chinese install, but after several unsuccessful attempts to pay the shareware fee, I downloaded this lightweight free one. It doesn't do traditional characters, but its overall character set is fairly large.

It used to have a homepage here, but that seems to have vanished. Search for 念青五笔 and you'll find lots of download options.

Edited by zhwj

I think you need to install 中文字符集 first

step1: Start > Control Panel > Date, Language and Regional Options > Regional and Language Options >Languages tab> select "Install files for East Asian languages" > Inside the same tab, click "Detail" in the "Text services and input languages" > Add "Chinese" to "Installed services"

step2: Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Advanced > Language for non-Unicode programs > Chinese (PRC)

Thank you for all the suggestions. The final solution was ye olde format+reinstall, and then installing the IME found in the wiki. It seems like that IME has some quirks, though (e.g. YYYY does not give 言, the IME sometimes quits unexpectedly...) I've understood that you are an wubi user, imron, and I'd try freewb, If the page wasn't offline.

Yeah, that Wubi IME isn't any where near as good as freewb. It's probably worth changing the Wiki once the website is back. Anyway yes, I mostly try to use Wubi, but also have pinyin IMEs installed that I use from time to time (usually for when I'm tired or feeling lazy).

Through archive.org, I've found a download link for the latest version. Click on the link that says: 6.1纪念版-新浪本地下载