Chinese-Forums

CEDICT formatted for Kingsoft Powerword 2007

ABCinChina

I find that Powerword was more suited for native Chinese speakers. But with this CEDICT dictionary added, then the Chinese dictionaries in Powerword quickly become very useful and a great way to study for me when reading Chinese explanations of Chinese characters/words.

Edit: The author of Lingoes has formatted this dictionary here.

Edited by ABCinChina

I just changed to the new traditional character version of Kingsoft Powerword 2007 (金山詞霸2007繁體版) and it is great! There's so many professional industry dictionaries to choose from and they're all traditional Chinese to English and vise versa. Plus, the dictionaries are excellent IMO so I doubt I'll be switching to another pop-up translator anytime soon. The CEDICT list is also importable to this version. If anyone wants to try it out or wants further details, just let me know. :mrgreen:

Edited by ABCinChina
Better link with more info...

The program shouldn't crash, but rather it just becomes inactive. Apparently, it takes a lot of system resources to import so while importing, do not click on the Kingsoft software. Instead, just let it import which will take about an hour and don't do too many things in the background.

If you're still having problems, I can send you the already-formatted CEDICT file so you don't have to do any importing. But I'll have to send it to your email which must be able to receive files just under 4MB. Let me know...

Ok cool! And after you install...if you think Powerword is very useful and is a very efficient translator, then be sure to vote for Powerword here. I don't think its getting enough votes, hehe. :mrgreen:

Edit: Did you get it to import correctly? Let me know if you need any help, I'm always glad to assist...

Edited by ABCinChina

Hey Shadow, glad to hear you finally got it working after all this time! One thing I've heard is that many pop-up translators do not work in Firefox 3 and this is a problem with Firefox and not with the translator software. For this reason, I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.17

There is a work-around for Firefox 3 users:

IE-Tab Firefox Add-on

I tested it and I think it works smoothly with Powerword 2007.

Ole

I heard that Powerword 2009 will be coming out November 18th, 2008. I hope I didn't waste my time making this list and that it will be importable into PW 2009. :-? They said 2009 will support Firefox 3 and I'm guessing that they will have pinyin in the pop-ups.

Edit: Here is another thread I made on Powerword 2009. Personally, after using the full version, I don't see any benefits for Chinese learners who already know English minus the OCR function that I'm not sure how to use yet. Also, there is no traditional Chinese version out yet so I'm gonna stick with Powerword 2007 at the moment.

Edited by ABCinChina

Hello ABC,

I have few questions here:

1). Is there a way you can highlight the text in USERDICT.TXT and and display with different colors after import?

2) I have imported succesfully the USERDICT.TXT, and I saw the already formatted files: two files, UserDict.DIC and UserDict.IDX. Do I have to back up the two files or only just the UserDict.DIC in case I will need them for reinstallation of Powerword 2007?

3). This question though is not related to CEDICT I hope you can help. In configuration of PW 2007, why is the "voice setting" being disbled? I can't select TTS engine, can't move the sliders of Volume, Frequency and Speed at all.

Hello TonyGTS, I'll try my best to answer your questions. :)

1). Is there a way you can highlight the text in USERDICT.TXT and and display with different colors after import?

Powerword doesn't support html formatting but you can change the pop-up translator text colors in "Configuration", "word-capture UI", then "Cursor Translator bar color". If you mess around with the colors and want to go back to original, just press the "Restore defaults" button.

2) I have imported succesfully the USERDICT.TXT, and I saw the already formatted files: two files, UserDict.DIC and UserDict.IDX. Do I have to back up the two files or only just the UserDict.DIC in case I will need them for reinstallation of Powerword 2007?

You need them both incase of a reinstall or new install. I would just zip the whole "Userdict" folder containing both files. You'll notice that the compression rate is very good and over 100MB will go down to less than 4MB.

3). This question though is not related to CEDICT I hope you can help. In configuration of PW 2007, why is the "voice setting" being disbled? I can't select TTS engine, can't move the sliders of Volume, Frequency and Speed at all.

I'm not sure about this since it happens to me on certain computers. My home computer used to have this problem then all the sudden one day I could select these options. Maybe after I upgraded to Windows XP SP3...(Being able to set this doesn't make any difference so I wouldn't worry about it)

hey ABCinChina,

thanks for your help in the past!

at work we use powerword 2003, we have very strict IT control policies, so cannot install 2007. But i have successfully imported the cc-cedict file into 2003 and it works!

however there is a little problem....each translation is on a separate line, however in 2003 this doesnt happen with the imported dictionary....it's all on the same line. I guess the format of the file needs to be a little different, does anyone know how it needs to be different? it's sometimes quite hard to read when it's on the same line....i've uploaded a screenshot!

thanks guys

2051_thumb.attach

Hello Pwaddy3,

Glad to hear everything is working. Regarding PW 2003, I've never used it but you can do a simple test. Manually type in a new word that is not already in the dictionary in PW 2003. (You can just make up a word) Make its definitions on separate lines and then export the list. Check how that word is formatted. PW 2007 looks like this...

假詞|[jiǎ cí]rnfake wordrnmade up wordrn

Notice that rn designates a new line in PW 2007. See how PW 2003 designates a new line. When you find out, just open the entire CEDICT file with Microsoft Word and do a search and replace all function. (Replace "rn" with "whatever phrase PW 2003 uses")

Hello. I am a new member in this forum. Thank you for putting up so much valuable information on Kingsoft Powerword and related issues:) I have some problems regarding on the installation of the program and hoping to get any technical support.

I have previously installed Powerword 2007 in my computer with windows vista platform and it worked pretty well so far but not until I reinstalled the program for some reason. The execution of the application has caused some interuption to my pc as it tooks ages to load the program. Some of my other powerword supported programs like MS word does not seems to work until Powerword been sucessfully loaded. I am quite not sure what is going on and what to do with the problem. Could you please help to fix it and save me out of the trouble? Thank you very much.

Hello Alan,

I'm not quite sure about the problem since I'm still using Windows XP SP3, but according to this thread, the newest version of PW 2007 will work with Windows Vista (32 bit). I'm not sure what's the difference between the 32 and 64 bit version of Vista, but it's worth a try. The latest version of PW 2007 can be downloaded at the site below:

http://cp.iciba.com/xiazai_ciba.shtml