Chinese-Forums

Does it get easier to bargain/barter?

Billy Jackson

Hello,

This is my first post here and I'd like to get your opinion on bargaining. It seems like shopkeepers expect you to bargain and are more surprised if you don't, but I'm not very good at it. I always feel either a bit shy to bargain or I end up feeling guilty because things are relatively cheap.

How can I improve my bargaining skills? Does it get easier the more you do it?

Thanks for any advice or tips you can share.

Billy

Well ... I'm in my 3rd year in China ... and ... no ... I still cannot bargain. :-?

Neither could I any other country where this cultural practice is common.

I always think fair business (win/win), so when people overprice with the idea of bargaining, my reflex is to immediately leave with the (sometimes angry) idea of: f... o.., I'm the customer, I got the money, now you'll have none. Not that it helps me much. :mrgreen:

In fact, over time I noticed that some Chinese people are very skilled in bargaining, others are not neither. (But they are all still better than me in it).

But I'll never be ripped off if I can avoid it, that's for sure. (= if I know the current standard/local prices, else I promise you I'll certainly be ripped off.)

Billy, at first I felt the same as you. It didn't take long before bargaining became like an addiction. I would bargain to buy things that I really didn't need just to see how low I could get the price. It's a form of entertainment.

Senzhi has the right idea. Get to know the local prices and then offer less to start with. They'll talk you up a bit and you can settle at around the local price.

If you really don't like bargaining then buy everything from the same places where they get to know you and give you the local price.

Start out by going shopping a few times with a Chinese friend.

Think of it as fun and it soon will be.

ps - the local price depends on the local, so it may take a bit of talking to people in order to educate yourself.

Thank you for your advice and tips. I did read somewhere that there are different prices for Chinese people and different prices for foreigners. I think I'll start practicing with smaller things first and try and get better at it that way....that way I won't lose too much money :)

Once you have lived here awhile and traveled a bit you get an idea of what things costs.

Then you can bargain and give them a little bit higher than you know they paid for it.

You should still try to save face, and not get angry. Showing your appreciation for the items can ironically help you to reduce the price as they seller feels validated that they are selling high quality items.

An example in suzhou , I want to buy some small sandel wood carved fans as souvenirs for some relatives back home. I went into the shop and they were priced at 100 yuan, But I had heard they only pay 5 yuan for them.

Even with the fan labeled 100 I said how about 8 yuan. After some haggling an the store assistant dropping the price several times and finding out I am a student. I bought 4 fans for 10 yuan a piece.

(don't be afraid to use the walk away slowly technique. but make sure you do it slowly and slightly turn your head to say you are waiting for them to call you back.)

This was back in 2002 these fans probably cost 25-35 these days. Though I'd have to go back and talk to my suzhou friends to be sure.

Also smiling a lot also helps in haggling, Good luck, it gets easier, you should practice with small things like vegetables and meat so that when big things come along you are ready.

have fun,

Simon:)

I did read somewhere that there are different prices for Chinese people and different prices for foreigners

I wouldn't say this is the case so much. When Luobot says local, he means local to that town or district. Anyone that is not local or in the know, including Chinese people, might end up paying a higher price.

where is it acceptable to bargain? only in smaller shops and on the streets?

what about bigger stores, like department stores or electronic stores? grocery stores?

is it ok to bargain to food vendors and sellers?

i like to bargain but its hard since i speak only about 5 words of Chinese. hopefully after a few months of language classes I'll get better, but I always feel like I'm getting ripped off since I'm American, white and don't speak the language :x:help

i like to bargain but its hard since i speak only about 5 words of Chinese.

Don't worry. When it comes to bargaining, they'll speak your language.

I always feel like I'm getting ripped off since I'm American, white and don't speak the language

You need to know the prices.

Just remember, whatever they offer you, say:

太贵了 Tài guì le !

It's always 太贵了!

I can't bargain. Not in China, not in Thailand. Don't know how and feel very embarrassed. My solution is to bring a friend who can do it. Some people are simply good at it. :) Bought some paper fans and pearl jewelry in Suzhou a few months ago and thanks to my friend they were just cheap.

BTW, does "barter" has the same meaning as "bargain"? AFAIK it means something different.

BTW, does "barter" has the same meaning as "bargain"? AFAIK it means something different.

Your right, to barter is to trade, as in, one of my 苹果 for one of your 桔子. There is no exchange of money in a barter system. Now, if you say that you want more 苹果 in the exchange, then it starts to look like bargaining, albeit within a barter. (I think I succeeded in complicating something simple, but they are two different things.)

Here's a few general rules I've developed for myself over the years:

In some cases, no amount of haggling will lower the price, at least not significantly. Some people figure that if they can't rip off the foreigner, they aren't interested in selling the item. At times like that, you just move on to the next store, or stall. Choose your battles.

Before haggling, you need to know what you should be paying. If you are told that something costs 300 RMB, and you start saying you only want to pay 50 RMB, but the real price is 200 RMB, then you've just shown you don't really know the price of the item in question. The Chinese merchant might say "你不懂行情!" This puts you at a disadvantage.

I'm not very good at bargaining, so if I'm going to a computer market, for example, I make sure to first ask around what the going price is for the thing I want to buy. You definitely do not want to walk into a place like a computer market without knowing the real price.

Besides never accepting the first price quoted to you, in a place like a computer market where there are a hundred people all selling the same thing, walk around to all the different stalls and ask how much the item is. It will be easier to talk down someone who is only trying to overcharge you by 25%, instead of 150%. But to do this, you need to know the real price first.

After asking around, you can always say to someone, "So expensive? That guy over there only wanted x amount of RMB for this," whether or not that's true.

where is it acceptable to bargain? only in smaller shops and on the streets?

what about bigger stores, like department stores or electronic stores? grocery stores?

is it ok to bargain to food vendors and sellers?

Usually not in bigger stores with set prices. You can try asking, but expect a no. Always on any kind of market, anything with stalls, whether they sell jewelry, souvenirs, clothes, or computers. Not in grocery stores, unless you're buying a lot, or if you feel you're really being overcharged. If you're not sure, just say it's kind of expensive, or ask if you can get it any cheaper. If negotiations are possible, that will open them.
i like to bargain but its hard since i speak only about 5 words of Chinese.
For bargaining you only need to know numbers and the phrase 'tai4 gui4 le!'

And remember, it's a game, be nice, don't get angry.

Lu, I don't like these "instructions". It's a game. Remember, don't get angry etc.

People can react whatever they like to situations without reference to someone they don't know on the Internet.

Drop the instructions. I can cope with knowing how to react to greed and extortion without your instructions. They are just insulting.